Jewel Cichlid Aggression Experiences

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
So... I'm wondering what people's experiences are of Jewel Cichlid aggression? I've had some mean fish before; JDs, convicts, Arowana... But my jewel is something else.

I picked up a small turquoise jewel on a whim. Impulse purchase because it looked absolutely stunning. Since then it's eliminated a group of platys that remained from the cycle and ate half of a krib whilst it was still alive! The bloody thing attacks my hands during feeding and maintenance; and patrols the front of the tank with purpose whenever someone gets close.

Don't get me wrong, I still love it. Seeing as it's so pretty and got character I don't mind it being the only fish in the tank. I was just wondering if it's a one off or is this a common theme?? Experiences?

Natediesel69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2021
I'd say you have a uncharacteristically aggressive one from my experience, but that is not to say that they are not aggressive and I have actually seen small turquoise jewels in LFS that presented in a similar way to what you describe, I have typically kept red jewels. I think their aggression in general is sort of under rated and overlooked, or maybe thats just my perception of it/remember reading/hearing from LFS. In my experience they are not typically instigators of aggression, but will readily defend themselves if provoked and in a violent way. I have one in a 125 currently that is maybe 3.5" and easily holds his own with 3 4-5" red devils, and similarly sized 4+" jack dempsey, firemouth, buttikoferi, blackbelt and jaguar. It killed a flowerhorn as a matter of fact when they were both around 2" or so in a 65 gallon with some of the fish listed above. Like people mention all the time, every fish is different and although things can be said that generally apply to the species, there are always outliers in either direction

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'd say you have a uncharacteristically aggressive one from my experience, but that is not to say that they are not aggressive and I have actually seen small turquoise jewels in LFS that presented in a similar way to what you describe, I have typically kept red jewels. I think their aggression in general is sort of under rated and overlooked, or maybe thats just my perception of it/remember reading/hearing from LFS. In my experience they are not typically instigators of aggression, but will readily defend themselves if provoked and in a violent way. I have one in a 125 currently that is maybe 3.5" and easily holds his own with 3 4-5" red devils, and similarly sized 4+" jack dempsey, firemouth, buttikoferi, blackbelt and jaguar. It killed a flowerhorn as a matter of fact when they were both around 2" or so in a 65 gallon with some of the fish listed above. Like people mention all the time, every fish is different and although things can be said that generally apply to the species, there are always outliers in either direction
Welcome aboard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store