Jewel cichlid question

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
May be a rather silly question, I have had a pair of common jewel cichlids for several years. They were inseparable. However unfortunately the female has passed, thinking just old age. My question is, would I be able to introduce another female with him? I know they can be finicky but odd thing now is he is hanging out with a female convict and I know nothing will come. What are the chances of him accepting a new female or pick of a few juveniles?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would get a few females and let nature take it's course. More than not a forced pairing does not work, but if you give him a choice of four or more you may get another quality bond. Be ready to save the cast off females. Tho if the tank is on the larger size with many hides and such. Having some targets other than each other for the pair to chase can actually help build a stronger bond. I wouldn't try it unless they are in a 75 or bigger.
I had a small pair in a 36 bowfront. The male killed the female after a failed spawn.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
new female or pick of a few juveniles?
It may be challenging adding a unpaired female.
I've had success with adding a mature male Pelvachromis Pulcher male after female killed the first male she paired up with. It would be easier and less risky starting over with a few juvies imo.
If you decide to add a female just have a plan B.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks I will go with the juvenile approach, I will pick up some today. Side question, does it matter on colour? My male is turquoise and so are the juveniles I am picking up. I see some of the red ones too just don't remember if that is a different species or just colour variety

Reactions: tlindsey

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I got quite a few juveniles maybe too many lol they were free. I did add 7 or 8 to the males tank. He nabbed one of the small ones and ate it. Now that things settled he totally ignores for the most part. Now I have a couple pairing up and not with the my male lol

I have more in a few other tanks that I will keep and try however I might have to let things be

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
So finally appears he found one that is female. Real odd but I found it in my Turkana jewels tank. It jumped into their tank and I figured since the Turkana were paired they just chased it around. Not thinking of it much, turns out it punked my Turkana female and paired up with my male. She was just in the process of spawning when I took her out. Once introduced back into the original tank she made a beeline for him lol he has accepted her and all is good. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store