Jewel cichlids stopped breeding

skud24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2008
Northern California
Hello. I bought a pair of really red Jewel cichlid's over a month ago to throw in my 130g tank. After about a week the pair was defending a section of my tank that had a bunch of brown eggs on some rock. Well, 2 days went by and the eggs were all gone. Less then a week later they laid eggs on the other side of the tank and, again, few days go by and they are gone. Well, now it's been about a month since they last laid eggs and no action. They still swim together and are fine, but nothing in the tank has changed since I first bought them. I didn't buy them as a breeding pair, just got lucky I guess. Do they just breed a little here and wait then a little again?

skud24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2008
Northern California
This is what I have in the tank...

1x Rubber-lip pleco
1x L333 pleco
3x Male Kenyis
2x Red Zebras (breeding pair)
2x Male Cobalt Blue zebras
2x Electric Yellow (breeding pair)
3x Auratas (2F/1M breeding)
2x Red Jewel Cichlids
2x Bumble Bee's

There is only 1 persistent fish that goes in their area, which is the dominant male Kenyi. But when he came around the area the 2 jewel's would attack him quite well where he would either back away or just move back just a tad to get attacked again. But I have no idea when I'm not around or when it's sleep time.

skud24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2008
Northern California
Ok, since I've last posted I have raised the temp up a notch and did a water change and what I noticed was that they are both females. One will lay eggs and the other eats them. Then, a week later the other lays eggs and the other eats them. They are both super red jewel cichlids, so my question now is how can you tell the sex of these? I am guessing the male is a much more pale red compared to the female? Seems backwards to me.

tankmates

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2007
OH
The males are usually bigger than the females. The female jewels are stockier and have intense coloration, although the males tend to show nice color when breeding.

skud24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2008
Northern California
Ok, well a few days ago one laid eggs and they are gone again. So I get home from work today and noticed that the first pictured Jewel is rubbing its 'tube' on the eggs (it is facing the eggs on the rock). The 2nd pictured Jewel is the one that is eating the eggs. Do both the male and female have a 'tube' when laying eggs and fertilizing? Could I have a 'bad' pair or an angry 2nd female?

eggs1.jpg

eggs2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store