jewel cichlids

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
any idea how large a red jewel has to be to show a little red in them and does anyone know there growth rate. approx how long from fry to inch? ty

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
relatively quick... they show red at like 2.5"-3" mine was bright and AGGRESSIVE! Now mines about 6" and BRIGHHHHHHHHT RED AND BLUE.

Old picture... not bright there, but all i got

Camera 063.jpg

chico3611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
North NJ
Here is a pic of mine (i bought 3 about 6 months ago) lets say they where an inch or a little less and now they are not that much bigger. I would say only one has doubled in size and the other two are maybe at an inch and a quarter.

Hope that helps with your growth rate inquiry. At least mine seem to be slow growers, guess ill just sit back have some :popcorn: and wait. Despite their size they have a great color and I personaly love adding red to the tank.

Attachments

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
ive got about 1200 baby jewel cichlids now after 4-5 spawnings. im only loosing about 1 or 2 percent each time they spawn so far so good.

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
In my experiance jewels start to show colour around 1.5"-2" depening incolour as they growing and reaching full colour between 3.5"-4" at which they are easily large enough to spawn. I currently have 3 pairs of jewels spawn and if I ever manage to get my hands on them they will all be shipped to the LFS as I'm sick of them breeding and overstocking my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store