Job issues/changes looking for advice

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
As I'm right now I work at a company called hoodz.. We go in at night (mostly) and clean dirty greasy kitchen exhaust systems in restaurants and other facilities. Iv been there over a year and a half and honestly I hate it.. But my boss has been more than good to be and has known my family since before I was born. I'm the only employee as people just don't wanna work for their money apparently....

Today I got an interview at a job where I would go around in my own truck and change air filters... Easy work and they pay is 40k-60k a year... But I have to use my own truck and pay for my own gas and go out of town at least once a week... Also would have to buy tools and even a topper for my truck ($800)

So here's my question... I have the job and have put in my 2 weeks.. But last week my current boss (hoodz) told me if I leave then he'll have to close the doors to the business... The reason I took the job was because I feel it could be better for me in the long run (more money and better schedule) but is it the right thing to do? Every business had to have people stay with them to get them to the point their at now.
Well when push comes to shove you have to look out for yourself. Take the job and things will work out for your current boss. The way I have always looked at it is if your business falls apart over one employee, the business was not the best anyways

Reactions: Chub_by

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
At the new job taxes would be taken out of my check monthly and when I go out of town my food hotel and some gas would be covered.... I just got off work and talked a lot about it with my current boss and he said nothing to discourage me from taking the job as he understands that I need to do what's best for be... That being said he did say that in a few months I'll be getting a raise.. Guaranteed 8 hours a day pay and more vacation time... The main 2 things he said that stood out to Me was 1. Don't grow up to fast (I'm only 20) and 2. Is he'd rather see me go into a trade and actually learn how to do something.... He even talked to me about what he was thinking about doing with the business if I leave wether he should sell it and focus on his second business or try and find more guys to work... TBH I'm thinking about staying even tho the job sucks and the pay is Eh. My current boss also said if I want he can help me get into some type of trade job as he know plenty off ppl from FedEx owners to private contractors. Another thing I had to think greatly about was if the new job didn't turn out how I wanted I would just come back to hoodz... Well that might not be the case if he sells the buisness so in a sense of be throwing all my eggs in 1 basket by switching jobs.
Sounds like you found your answer in the two things that stood out for you. Stay there. Learn trades. Ask him to get ur foot in the door at the other jobs. Sounds like that should keep u pretty busy and open up doors in the future. Good luck! And keep focused

Reactions: clm08k and xDestro

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would stay at your current job. Driving your own truck will be tons of miles on it. So the wear and tear on your truck, purchasing tools, and paying for gas are my issues. What happens if your truck breaks down ?

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Your job is to worry about you. If he has to close his doors it is not your responsibility or worries if he doesn't want you to leave ask him to raise your pay to the equivalent pay. But if you hate your job even with more money leave. Life is to short to hate what you do.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You've already made your decision to stay but it sounds to me like you hold a pretty strong hand here. If you're that valuable to your current boss then you should negotiate a pay rise, more holidays etc etc. You'll still more than likely dislike the job but the extra cash would soften the blow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store