Joint order ... Between states??

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have a friend in another state, we both want things from one seller but don't want to pay full shipping or hit order minimums by ourselves. Is it a dumb idea or is it somehow possible to split an order between states?
My current idea of joint orders is people split shipping cost and then meet up to get their fish so if it is that then this post is pointless but if not then help me figure out how to make this work

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
It can work as long as you live close to each other, and you aren't breaking state laws. I have done group orders with friends 70 miles away with zero issues, granted we were all in the same state.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I doubt that a shipper would split an order like this without charging more for the extra packaging or even double the shipping cost since they will be sending out two boxes.
Like you mentioned most people that do this live in the same city. So the secondary person only has a short drive home with his portion of the order.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have done many combined orders, but usually keep the distance I would "comfortably drive", (for me 2.5 to 3 hour drives are to me very reasonable).
I ordered Madagascan cichlids from a seller where the minimum fish total price alone, was $300, and split the order 3 ways.
But in some cases I could go to an aquarium club meeting announce my plan, and easily get a combination of 5 to 6 people per order.
And sometimes with multi box large orders, then airport to airport shipping becomes economical.
I had an order for COA on South West Airlines about 6 years ago, it left Fl in the morning, and arrived in Milwaukee by about 2 pm, and came in 2 very large boxes. My friend and I split bags up respective bags in the office at the airport.

Last edited:

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Ah this is what I figured, our distance is more like 700 miles ?

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Just that right there is more expensive than shipping.easier to find someone local to split an order with. I have 2 guys like that near me- not really even associated with each other except for when one of us is ordering fish and let’s the other guys know.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
That’s a lot of logistics just to “save” money… air cargo isn’t cheap either.

It’ll be cheaper to make the minimum order, pay the shipping and give away the extra fish than it will to air cargo them from seller to buyer to buyer…. Or than having each guy drive 700 miles to meet in the middle or than having one guy drive 1400 miles to meet the fish at there destination.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I personally am on a mission to aquire some fish, that cost so much in fuel, and human life to aquire- from so far afield that they each have a carbon footprint larger than the average human occupant of land from whence they come.

but-when I had my wife’s wedding ring made I had the jeweler weigh out the diamonds in souls, rather than carats- and provide a list of names of those who died and who they are survived by, in order to provide those stones for that ring, by way of provenance.

so that’s just how I am, I have some standards.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
My local fish club does this all the time. We are on a state line (NC/SC). It ships to one person's house and then he brings it to the monthly meeting. Its a great opportunity for all involved.

That said... 700 miles makes it ridiculous...

Reactions: C. Breeze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store