Julii cory cats not schooling

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
If you're worried about the cichlids getting to the food before the cories. U can feed when the light goes off. Cories are like any other catfish. They come out at night.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
One of the biggest misconceptions with Cory cats is their schooling nature. In the wild they do school, but often in huge numbers, in the hundreds. So when we put them in tanks we can't expect the same behaviours when we put six or ten together. You will see them interacting together, but often just like hoplo cats, they will be just as happy going their own way in a secure tank with no perceived threats.

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
If the cichlids will eat the shrimp they will probably get the worms also.
But it’s good for them too.
I’ve seen people use an acrylic tube like the end of a gravel vacuum to let the food pass to the bottom without the other fish grabbing it.
That’s one of the drawbacks to have other aggressive eaters in with corys.
I usually put the sinking foods in a fish bet and push it to bottom so the cichlids have a harder time getting it before the corys can find it. Would It be ok if I put a whole cup of black worms in at once? Do they live awhile in the tank? Or should you put the worms on in amounts that they will all be consumed in a given amount of time.

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
One of the biggest misconceptions with Cory cats is their schooling nature. In the wild they do school, but often in huge numbers, in the hundreds. So when we put them in tanks we can't expect the same behaviours when we put six or ten together. You will see them interacting together, but often just like hoplo cats, they will be just as happy going their own way in a secure tank with no perceived threats.
Well that’s good then that my cory cats feel safe in my tank with New world cichlidsXD but there are plenty of hiding spaces and from my experience with new world cichlids mine have never cared about bottom feeders what so ever assuming because they know the bottom feeders aren’t a threat to them so they leave them alone

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Just out of interest, what ci chlid do you have, new world cichlids could be a number of different fish of different requirements and temprements

Last edited:

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If I have it correct, Green Terror, Firemouth, Jack dempsy , convicts and Honduran redpoint.

if I do, how big are the green terror? They could be an issue longer term with cory.

EccelaEkaj

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2016
If I have it correct, Green Terror, Firemouth, Jack dempsy , convicts and Honduran redpoint.

if I do, how big are the green terror? They could be an issue longer term with cory.
Yep your right. I’m keeping a close eye on the green terror but right now he’s only about 2.75-3 inches and he could care less about the corys. swims right past them. Also the green terror in general is the lowest on the pecking order, occasionally getting chased by everyone else even though he’s the biggest in the tank. So at the moment I’m not worried about it but I know it’s a possibility for the green terror to become more aggressive as it gets bigger so i will keep a close eye and take action if things get out of hand

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store