June '09 - Umbie trivia

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Caquetaia umbriferus (or C. umbrifera as we may see in print lately because that is more nomenclaturally agreeable in terms of gender specifics) seems like a great subject for this month's trivia contest.

As some of you may have noticed, I am lucky to have recently imported wild adolescent umbies directly from Colombia.

It is no understatement to admit this has been a request of mine from Colombian exporters for nearly 20 years.

Cichlid savvy exporters are familiar with this species upon viewing photos I've provided for review. However, they would invariably inform me that due to hostile guerilla activity in the regions where they know umbies to inhabit, specific collection of this species had been impossible.
Until now, that is.

Umbies have been my favorite cichlid species for perhaps the past 25 years, although I didn't actually keep any until about 1990.

The first reply in this thread to correctly answer the below questions will receive a free wild 6-7" umbie on an order.

1) How many breeding pairs of umbies did I maintain in 1996?

2) Some time ago, I wrote about this majestic cichlid for a publication in which the full title of that article was __________ ?

3) Two well known US cichlid keepers of years past 'discovered' this species as 'contaminants' among other wild Colombian cichlids in what year?

4) For years, the green or Panamanian variant of umbie was known in the trade by it's German name. What is that name?

5) Whose arm is that below?!

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
bigguapote;3244454; said:
Caquetaia umbriferus (or C. umbrifera as we may see in print lately because that is more nomenclaturally agreeable in terms of gender specifics) seems like a great subject for this month's trivia contest.

As some of you may have noticed, I am lucky to have recently imported wild adolescent umbies directly from Colombia.

It is no understatement to admit this has been a request of mine from Colombian exporters for nearly 20 years.

Cichlid savvy exporters are familiar with this species upon viewing photos I've provided for review. However, they would invariably inform me that due to hostile guerilla activity in the regions where they know umbies to inhabit, specific collection of this species had been impossible.
Until now, that is.

Umbies have been my favorite cichlid species for perhaps the past 25 years, although I didn't actually keep any until about 1990.

The first reply in this thread to correctly answer the below questions will receive a free wild 6-7" umbie on an order.

1) How many breeding pairs of umbies did I maintain in 1996?

Three

2) Some time ago, I wrote about this majestic cichlid for a publication in which the full title of that article was __________ ?

Husbandry of Caquetaia umbrifera

3) Two well known US cichlid keepers of years past 'discovered' this species as 'contaminants' among other wild Colombian cichlids in what year?

4) For years, the green or Panamanian variant of umbie was known in the trade by it's German name. What is that name?

Cichlasoma umbriferum (?)

5) Whose arm is that below?!

Jeff Rapps (?)
Not sure about 4 and 5 :D

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Here are the answers as provided via PM by CWWest247
Please contact me by email to claim your prize while they are still available for the claiming!

1. 3
2. Husbandry of Caquetaia Umbrifera
The Unsung King of New World Cichlids
3. 1975
4. Großer Grüner
5. Chris Persson

Awesome job everyone!
Peathenster was sooo close to getting one of these beasts.
I hope you enjoyed playing the game though.

Most of the answers were available over the internet if one researched the right places.

Questions 1-3 appeared in an article published by Cichlid News back in 1997.
However, I don't know if the full title of the article was readily obtainable.
I gave it that title, but the 'Unsung King' piece seemed to be absent from internet reprints.

The German name is printed in several texts I have in my fishy library (as well as being imprinted in my memory back in that 'when would I ever need to know this crap' corner).

And I suppose that Chris's arm by his famous pet was just something that required some minor sleuthing. The 'Cichlid Scene' site, as well as the 'Aquamojo' site, featured awesome photos of Chris's and Mo's pet umbies!

CWWest247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
San Jose
Thanks Jeff, I had to do some internet surfing to get all the answers, even went to a German fish forum for number 4.

Ripdevil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2005
DMV
they are your favorite huh? explain your passion

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store