Juruense pellet battle

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So it been 3 days and so far its not giving in. Previously ate tilapia stuffed with pellets and shrimp but thats getting old fast and its been seeking out food on its own (after lights out not infornt of me)

So do i continue to starve ? Normally i would say yes but wanted to hear from you guys who have kept the species before

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So it been 3 days and so far its not giving in. Previously ate tilapia stuffed with pellets and shrimp but thats getting old fast and its been seeking out food on its own (after lights out not infornt of me)

So do i continue to starve ? Normally i would say yes but wanted to hear from you guys who have kept the species before

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
I also know for sure isde02 isde02 raised a couple on pellets but he really is busy these days. Also know it was challenging for him as well.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chicxulub Chicxulub thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter how long did it take you guys to get you're jurs to eat pellets ?

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Mine never have converted on their own. I've never tried to accomplish it purposefully. I reckon it'd be exceedingly challenging. I am glad to know that it is doable though. I didn't know.

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Mine never have converted on their own. I've never tried to accomplish it purposefully. I reckon it'd be exceedingly challenging. I am glad to know that it is doable though. I didn't know.
Well i just gave in little guys was soo hungry it at infoent of me lol
I never succeeded in converting one. I just feet various cut meals.
what do you feed ? I have tilapia, shrimp, and silversides easily available

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I feed cut fish when small. Whole fish when larger. Marine bait fish, herring mostly, 3"-4". Some anchovy, whiting, mullet, pompano, jack, snapper, pin fish, etc. All around the same size.

I had noted you wrote you fed yours shrimp (exclusively?) at some point. That'd not be good as vitamin B1 deficiency would develop due to high thiaminase levels in shrimp.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I feed cut fish when small. Whole fish when larger. Marine bait fish, herring mostly, 3"-4". Some anchovy, whiting, mullet, pompano, jack, snapper, pin fish, etc. All around the same size.

I had noted you wrote you fed yours shrimp (exclusively?) at some point. That'd not be good as vitamin B1 deficiency would develop due to high thiaminase levels in shrimp.
Yup the shrimp was just to get him going but is now eating mainly tilapia soaked in bvc

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I feed primarily tilapia. I figure that cichlids are a staple part of the diet of these fish, and an African cichlid is better than no cichlid or the thiaminaise loaded native centrarchids that we have in America.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store