Jurunese catfish update

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
After seeing yours and SandNukka15 SandNukka15 's, I begin to think that Chicxulub Chicxulub 's proposal that many, most, or all juruense turn into "flash zebras" when they grow up holds better merit than I thought initially.

Neither you, nor SandNukka15 SandNukka15 bought yours as the "flash zebras", right??

My sole survivor is around 15" and is starting to look better too, although it was one of the dullest colored / patterned when small out of the ten I got.
I've been saying it for years: a Flash Zebra exists only in the eyes of the beholder. :)

Once I get my new house and FINALLY manage to find another daggum Jur, I intend to prove this.

I bought mine just as a normal juruense
Well it darn sure turned out to be a pretty one! I'd call that a flash, but I like to do that just to anger the entire hobby LOL

I bought mine as a normal juru as well. But it appears to me that flashes have a yellow tint with the purple my juru has the colors of a juru but the patterning of a flash.... if that makes any sense
It makes sense to me. I'm convinced that it's all in the eye of the beholder. IMO, trying to split the difference between the different colors and patterns of a jur is like trying to argue that a RTC with a black belly is something somehow different than a RTC with a white belly.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Actually there's a 12" specimen that have a great markings of a flash & 18" that have normal bars. I've also seen some that are for sell here above 15" still have vertical bars.

The 12" is in the picture.

image.png

I bought mine as a normal juru as well. But it appears to me that flashes have a yellow tint with the purple my juru has the colors of a juru but the patterning of a flash.... if that makes any sense
Predatoryfins said before, flash need to kept in low ph water so that they won't lose their yellow colors. Looking by the tank, there's a lot of driftwood, low ph, maybe the black water preserve their colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've long purported that Jurs need to be kept in low pH as well in order to have a hope of getting a quasi wild coloration out of them.

During the Flash Zebra Wars of 2012-13, that fish you posted would have been called a normal jur by most people in that debate GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm currently in the early stages of building my new house. I intend to have a water spigot inside of the house so that I can have a ro/di system on the tank to maintain a reliable low pH, very soft setup similar to what would be needed for wild discus (and to allow for a drip). I'm doing this in hopes that my hypothesis with juruense will pan out.

The goal is to get a normal one and one of the oddball ones and see if they end up being effectively the same minus the pattern, putting this debate to rest for eternity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store