Just for you, Koltsixx...

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
TBTB: I do it in my fast and dirty way. You do it in high fashion. :)
Lol, high fashion, fast and dirty. Honestly it's not that hard I think your fast and dirty way probably takes the same effort. Not that I'm saying it's fast and dirty mind you, just using your words. The hardest part is erasing all the KS stuff. lol

TBTB: Well, if you take aim at a Nobel prize in photography...

TBTB: You got too many "ing"s. :) So does the website. I think the website is messed up a bit.
Raymond Chan
amazingfish247@gmail.com
(909) 489-8711
Thanks Viktor for both the compliment and the info. It's appreciated.

TBTB: If I don't kill them with my stupidities and God is willing, we shall see.
Please your practically a catfish keeping god. I'm sure they'll be great with you.

TBTB: I am suggesting you send Jools proposed wordage you'd like to see there.
I might, would just have to figure out how to be concise. Not one of my strong points.

TBTB: Thumbs up!

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Any updates?

I heard wood cats only spawn in 'dirty water'. Most people simulate this by simply not doing WC

Reactions: koltsixx

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From my continuing observation, the lip holding was most likely a lazy remnant of a territorial dispute for the best lair.

Not much else has happened except I had to relocate some fish from one of the 4500 gal into their tank and they contracted some fungus from the newcomers. The newcomers also upset the fragile housing balance and the Trachies fought rather earnestly among themselves to the point I thought the fungus was just the battle wounds.

The fungus cleared up by itself thankfully but I did administer a couple of Malachite Green doses later on.

Trachy trachy pile.JPG

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Any updates?

I heard wood cats only spawn in 'dirty water'. Most people simulate this by simply not doing WC
Only update with mine is they seem to continually get nastier. At least the female who recently ate a 7 inch Chocolate. Making their victim list a 12+Albino Clown Knife, 1 Blood Parrot, 4 Silver Dats, 3 Tiger Scats and 2 Red Spotted Severums that I can remember ooff the top of my head.

I'm sorry who ever told you that is a poor source. No fish thrives much less breeds in dirty water if I'm understanding your use of dirty that is. Since you mention no water changes I'm thinking we're on the same page. My only thought is perhaps your misstating the info. or it was poorly worded hence your interpretation. Perhaps what you read is they breed in aged water. Which is different then dirty.

From my continuing observation, the lip holding was most likely a lazy remnant of a territorial dispute for the best lair.

Not much else has happened except I had to relocate some fish from one of the 4500 gal into their tank and they contracted some fungus from the newcomers. The newcomers also upset the fragile housing balance and the Trachies fought rather earnestly among themselves to the point I thought the fungus was just the battle wounds.

The fungus cleared up by itself thankfully but I did administer a couple of Malachite Green doses later on.
Trachy's are amazingly resilient to wounds. That soft skin may get damaged but it heals at a phenomenal rate. At least that's been my experience. By the way they're looking great Viktor.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm sorry who ever told you that is a poor source. No fish thrives much less breeds in dirty water if I'm understanding your use of dirty that is. Since you mention no water changes I'm thinking we're on the same page. My only thought is perhaps your misstating the info. or it was poorly worded hence your interpretation. Perhaps what you read is they breed in aged water. Which is different then dirty.
Okay lemme rephrase. In the wild the fish spawn when it floods (?) Or similar when the quality of the water decreases. I'll find the video but it's similar to snakehead that sometimes won't breed unless you let the water age

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Okay lemme rephrase. In the wild the fish spawn when it floods (?) Or similar when the quality of the water decreases. I'll find the video but it's similar to snakehead that sometimes won't breed unless you let the water age
I was the one who said age the water. lol You said dirty and not to do water changes. I figured you just misspoke or explained what you meant poorly.

Prime covers most of the issues that people used to age water to get rid of but because tap water is under pressure it can contain dissolved gases such as CO2. The dissolved CO2 will temporarily lower the PH.

As the water sits the CO2 is released back into the atmosphere leaving the true PH which could be higher, sometimes significantly. And the fluctuating PH level can be stressful for fish. Which is why some people age their water for 24 hours. Usually if you age water several times over days and test it you can get an idea of what your tap water is like and how much it fluctuates. Based on that you can decide whether you think it's necessary to age your water for water changes.

At least that's always been my understanding. As far as breeding goes I can only guess that floods or dry seasons probably increase or decrease the PH of the water and add to the naturally occurring trace elements. I don't know or see how not changing the water might do the same except that it'd increase pollutants. Without knowing the specifics of the trace elements and their concentration I also can't see how one would go about creating those conditions. But as I'm always saying I'm no expert and I consider myself a novice at best. So maybe your about to teach me something, which would be cool.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It isn't so much about the aging water by gassing off co2 but the increase in dissolved organics and so on I believe. Nitrate isn't a factor, most people run these sorta tanks with a load of plants and so on. Maybe like snakehead they want more steady water parameters, some people only get the snakehead to breed when they leave the water mostly alone. To be honest it's best to look into the seasonal changes of the natural habitats

If they are related to the other driftwood catfish they should have very large eggs

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
While breeding any of my fish is the farthest thought in my mind, I do appreciate reading your thoughts on the subject, guys.

Only update with mine is they seem to continually get nastier. At least the female who recently ate a 7 inch Chocolate. Making their victim list a 12+Albino Clown Knife, 1 Blood Parrot, 4 Silver Dats, 3 Tiger Scats and 2 Red Spotted Severums that I can remember ooff the top of my head...

Trachy's are amazingly resilient to wounds. That soft skin may get damaged but it heals at a phenomenal rate. At least that's been my experience. By the way they're looking great Viktor.
Wow, Kolt, that's some list already! And I'd agree on their fast healing. As for the looks, I really love the way they look when they swim around. Seems very elegant to me, not in a delicate elegant way but ... IDK, I can't place my finger on it. Graceful? Especially being all black with all the fins up and spread out, flat bottom, huge mouth... When they lay around, it's an aesthetic letdown for me because I have a point of reference :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
which is why I really want one...
Maybe one day

How active are these guys? My syno is comfortable enough to sit in open view under his wood in the evening but never swims with the lights on. I need to try some more active cats someday

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
While breeding any of my fish is the farthest thought in my mind, I do appreciate reading your thoughts on the subject, guys.
Have any bred for you without your assistance? Just curious because of the great care and large accommodations you give your fish, I wonder if you've ever happened upon a unplanned breeding or fry?

Wow, Kolt, that's some list already! And I'd agree on their fast healing. As for the looks, I really love the way they look when they swim around. Seems very elegant to me, not in a delicate elegant way but ... IDK, I can't place my finger on it. Graceful? Especially being all black with all the fins up and spread out, flat bottom, huge mouth... When they lay around, it's an aesthetic letdown for me because I have a point of reference :)
Yeah, it's led me to consider rehoming them a couple of times; but since they're my oldest fish and the last thing I bought from Infinite Aquatics they hold sentimental value that always wins out.

I know what you mean by graceful. It's hard to describe because when they do move it's usually fast and erratic while searching for food. How ever there are rare instances where they patrol the tank for what ever reason and they're calm and deliberate in their movements. I think it's because they're so lumbering and thick in appearance it belies how graceful and serene they can be when they want to.
IMG_8353#4.JPG

which is why I really want one...
Maybe one day

How active are these guys? My syno is comfortable enough to sit in open view under his wood in the evening but never swims with the lights on. I need to try some more active cats someday
They are great cats but if you do get one be wary of their mouths and make sure you put them with fish that can compete with them for food as they are extremely boisterous.

They're almost always hiding, it's usually only when food is on the agenda that they make guest appearances. This is usually the best you're gonna get with Trachys.
IMG_4365#3.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store