Just for you, Koltsixx...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Love the narratives and pics, Kolt. And overall, I appreciate the info guys are laying out in this thread.

I'd not say my trachies are as gluttonous as yours are but they eat fine, for some reason preferring catfish farm pellet to fish.

Koltsixx: Have any bred for you without your assistance? Just curious because of the great care and large accommodations you give your fish, I wonder if you've ever happened upon a unplanned breeding or fry?

TBTB: Silver aros did 3 times. Phoenix barbs probably have done it a couple of times. Jau catfish might have done it but I didn't catch it. Koi, needless to say.

Koltsixx: I know what you mean by graceful. It's hard to describe because when they do move it's usually fast and erratic while searching for food. How ever there are rare instances where they patrol the tank for what ever reason and they're calm and deliberate in their movements. I think it's because they're so lumbering and thick in appearance it belies how graceful and serene they can be when they want to.

TBTB: I like it how our trachies show diverse behaviors although your trachy keeping time dwarfs mine 100 to 1. I'd not say mine swim fast and erratic while feeding and rarely calmly. Mine so far swim rather with dignity when feeding (while they may get a bit pushy indeed) and don't swim at all when there is no food, except IDK what happens at night. But I do see them any time I want to.

Koltsixx: Unlike the Trachy who uses their heads to bulldoze the competition aside and will resort to feigning attack with that huge open mouth charging at intended fish making most fish retreat.

TBTB: Mine do this only to each other when arguing who lays where and in what order in their cat pile.

Koltsixx: By the way you and thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter might be interested in knowing they've started acting amorous again. Well, the male has any way. Made his move just yesterday after feeding. Followed the female into a hide which I noticed only because of the ruckus.

I heard what sounded like muffled, growling then purring; turned to see them both face forward in a hide swatting one another with their bodies broad side. Their tails slapping against one another and the male looking like he was trying to position himself. The female let out her typical but louder then usual grunt and exited the hide post haste. The male spurned I guess returned to his typical favorite hide very slowly(walk of shame. lol).

Some things that might also be worth mentioning, one the hide chosen was a hide neither of them have shown interest in before. Two they've both increased in feeding activity, much more vigorous and aggressive then normal. And the female has been trying to eat tankmates left and right. They're both offered live food in the form of worms,snails, etc but I notice that the female becomes very piscivorous at certain times of the year. Perhaps a prelude to breeding is eating fish for more protein?

TBTB: Haha. Interesting and funny :D I am yet to find time to sex mine but just from body parameters it looks like I have both sexes among the four.

Reactions: Iamfish and Hendre

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
June 14, 2017 update on the 4 trachies and their tank mates in 240 gal. No big changes. They got more comfortable and eat better, figured out housing more or less. Hard to say if they grew any lengthwise. Widthwise they did.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Think the gulpers would look good with them and keep your blochii safe lol

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Think the gulpers would look good with them and keep your blochii safe lol
I think it's a great idea. Thanks. One gulper has been funny for the last month. I may be losing it, I don't know to what, but because of it, I will hold off the transfer. Don't want to stress the fish that's already highly stressed and ill.

What happen to the spawn pair? Does it breed successfully?
You must be talking about Koltsixx' pair. As Moe said, nothing has come of it. Mine has never shown any courtship behavior.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Fifteen month update. No changes in the accommodations, nor otherwise. The Trachycorystes have been doing well from the little I could see. They rarely come out in the light hours. Still bicker every now and then over what I assume is dominance and/or hides. They pile up with each other not rarely though... go figure... and they pile with irwinies and the lone gulper too without any issues that I have noticed.

Feed well now on both pellets and thawed marine bait fish. Both taken eagerly, which is a bit of a change from before when pellets were preferred.

IDK if they grew. Probably have but it's hard for me to judge as I see them out and about so seldomly and when I do, it is in quite dim conditions. With the tank lights on or decent day light, they are never coming out, forget it, all jet-black and fashionable, light-hating maniacs they are:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My tender loving tribute to you, our dear Kolt, lives on... :) koltsixx koltsixx

The quartet has been doing well. Two or three of them got really thick, I'd even say obese. They feed well on both pellets and thawed fish and never do anything, so no surprise, they don't even fight anymore. No matter how late I go to bed, I never ever see them taking a swim around, only an occasional "walk" on the bottom to change places or to sit outside of their concrete block refuge.

Plus my Ziegler pellets are mostly wheat, legumes, and corn. I have just switched to all NLS a month or two ago though. Hope it will help them lean up a bit.

Nov 2019:

They have just been upgraded to an 1800 gal a week ago. Immediately they had bad disagreements with each other of who hides where (there are no more cushy liars in this tank like they had in their 240 gal; my visitors and I wanna see them now) and fins were badly torn but this seems to have subsided now.

19:45 minutes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store