Just got a Swamp Eel :)

julnj2

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
Tampa Bay, FL
Mine never took to eating pellets. His diet consisted of live gut-loaded minnows, earthworms, gut-loaded crayfish, raw shrimp, and cut fish. Mine was in a bare-bottom tank so, I can't offer any experiences of burying themselves. I've had smaller specimens (1-3ft) that didn't bury themselves so, it may be a temporary survival-instinct inherent in the young elvers.

Here's my 4 footer:

View attachment 1068462

View attachment 1068463
Very cool eel, where did you get him? Collect him from down south by chance?

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I have a Monopterus Albus indonesian swamp eel at home, I will take pictures. At this moment I have only two eels, the Monopterus and a small Echidna Rhodochilus. I will take picture of the Monopterus when i get home. It is a docile eel, surprisingly, never made any trouble with its tankmates (two polypterus palmases, three clown loaches, two yoyo loaches). It eats live shrimps and bloodworms, and will ambush small mollies if I put some on its tank.

Reactions: clm08k

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
As promised this is my monopterus albus. Unlike most other monopterus, my particular eel are very docile, it's not afraid of bright lights, is fond of water sprinkling from the filter, and never made attempts to escape from the aquarium. But it could take bloodworm hanging from that basket next to him, like a snake it would raise its head above the water and eat the worm.

my monopterus albus.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store