Just how hard are discus to keep?

fishyjoe26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
plano texas
Pellegrino80;3090100; said:
If you really want Discus you could try buying some for cheap from this site below.

http://www.somethingsphishy.com/index.php?cPath=21&ad=AquariumFishDiscus

From my experience they are not difficult fish like many have claim that they are. As long as you keep 20%-30% water changes every week they will be fine. I've kept discus with PH that was to high and they were doing perfectly fine at PH 7.0 to 8.5 also. They say to keep PH low around 6.0 because natural instincts Discus knows that they cant lay eggs at higher ph and will not breed. For breeding you need PH at 6.0 to 6.5 and temp above 90F to 92F in order for the eggs to hatch and the frys to survive. It's best to keep discus's temp above 86F to 88F this helps prevents ich from reproducing and Ich and some other dieases can't surive above this temp. Some people keep thier temp above 90F all the time, but the problem with this is that it increases their metabiliom and makes them grow faster, and will need air stones at this higher temp because of lack of oxygen.
somethingphishy.com DO NOT! don't buy anything from somethingphishy.com I hope that place goes out of business

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store