Just picked up 3 -Kelberi Bass 2.5” size-best method to get them to eat non live food?

creekchub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
Got in three really small golden peacock
( Kelberi) bass yesterday from imperial tropicals. They are in my 220 gallon tank by themselves.
I was told they are eating
” engler feeder fish” -Since my goal is to get them off of feeders what is the best plan of attack to getting them to eat pellets and small little blood worms and what not….Should I give them a few days to get a accustomed to the tank and then start the feeding process just looking for some basics on what you would do if you’re starting out three small peacock bass and you’re only two days into the process?

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Really small peacock bass means u would need to find them in the tank if the tank is scaped
If not
Just put in bloodworms they would sure take it
Pallets might be difficult
Try throwing in some plallets along with blood worms
If u see them chomping then u can eventually increase their ratio and decrease the ratio of bloodworms

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
.....and,toss the pellets in near the return flow.The kels will probably be on the skittish side but the movement should draw their attention.

creekchub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
Threw a couple small krill pieces in tank -came back a hour later observed one of the bass trying to eat the krill piece at bottom of tank which for day two is a great sign as I have had Kelberi before which showed no interest in eating for 4-5 weeks -fingers crossed I may have bought a good batch of eager eaters . Also have a can of frozen blood worms that have been in freezer for 18 months -too old or can I try them out says good until 2024

creekchub

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
Update —all three of my new kelbs are eating blood worms krill and tiny massivore pellets.
Also they have lost all of their skittish-Ness-these guys or maybe 2 1/2 inches long and when I open the top come right to the surface…. Hands-down this is the best batch of peacock bass I ever got in terms of training/Normally it’s a pain for 4 to 6 week process where they don’t eat these guys for whatever reason just love to eat and are not shy at all -mission accomplished-thanks for all the suggestions!

ruincccc

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
great to hear that. i had 1 from IM not long ago, but unfortunately i recently lost it at 4.5' due to swimming bladder I believe. had been loving carnival sticks.

hope you grow them out healthy and stunning

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store