just question Plecostomus + Rays combo = Recipe for disaster

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
I always wanted to have rays.
But i have few plecostomus in tank.
I heard before that plecos + rays are very bad combo....
Coment guys what u think
I will be very happy if u give me some names of species ( Not very expensive - medium size)
Its true that plecos suck on ray ? I heard that one 100 times
Have you keep that combo before ?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'm kind of wondering why you still need to ask if you've already heard 100 times that plecs may suck on ray slime. But, if 101 is your goal then, yes, lori catfish may develop an affinity for eating the slime coating on rays.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Tnx oddball
I know. But i saw some videos on youtube. This combo
I will stay with plecos because my wife and son loves them :D

brucecost

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
chicago
I'd imagine with a big enough tank, anything is possible, with enough hiding places and sand for the rays to seek shelter, but were talking a BIG tank and a limited amount of plecos.
In the wild I imagine they have irritants but they also have spaces to move too.
Bottom line don't do it! ( that Japanese video of the BD's with pleco's is amazing though!)

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
What species of pleco do you have? Story # 102- I have 3 ancistrus plecos and rays with no problems. They have been together for several years.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have common plecos in most of my tanks they are big plecos as well. Had a smaller one and I rotate him between tanks because he could clear all the algae and I wanted to keep him busy which I think is key but have found him sucking on a ray once and removed him then tried again and he was OK for a while then did it again so out he went. I guess he just cleaned to well. But my others don't have any issue with my big tanks and help keep them cleaner, It's worth a try in my option. Just have an out if one has an issue. I had a green phantom before that was good with the rays. I would like to get more of them to try.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
Here's a story you want to hear. I know someone that keeps over 30 plecos from all types, L24, L25, L273, L600, Luteus, etc. and sizes 4-14" most of them being 8"+ in a standard 240gal and a pair of pearl pups that grew to 15" with no problems whats so ever. He then got rid of of his pearl pair then kept single bd pup with no issues as well. He's also kept a single marble pup in same tank with no issue. Here is the formula for success in keeping plecos with rays. Have a decent size tank atleast 150gal+ bigger is better of course plus ratio of live stock and size, plenty plenty plenty of driftwood, and keep the plecos well fed. Key is to keep your plecos happy, don't overcrowd or starve your plecos because that's when they are unhappy and get aggressive. Some may disagree but I think for those that didn't work, the setup was more tailored to rays not plecos, but if you setup your tank to be more situated for plecos like lots of driftwood just have it elevated off the floor and have floor space for rays it will work.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
personally i think its outdated info.

ive always kept commons with rays and other plecos too ( currently have some vampire plecs and have had some frog plecs amongst others )

whenever this comes up ive always said that whilst it is possible that plecs might suck on the rays disc i think its more likley that damage done by the rays is blamed on plecs (and i have seen evidence of this myself several times and due to the myth ive even removed plecs with no benefit) .

rays can make "suck marks" too. im not saying plecs will never cause rays a problem but i have never had a plec problem myself and i think they are incorrectly blamed in alot of cases because of poor information ( ie this myth) .

try it. keep an eye on them and see for yourself. personally i would be more concerned with other species or the possibility that the rays might kill the plecs ( yes they do )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store