Just want to know

Yellow ducky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2019
How do you differentiate between heavy breathing and normal breathing. And does heavy breathing makes you rays less active?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
From my experience heavy breathing usually involves like a panting motion and you will notice a difference. If you're unsure post a video of said ray to see if we can help.

Reactions: Canoeist

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Heavy breathing would be deeper and and quicker. Almost like hyperventilating looking. Sometimes it could an indicator of issues, though it can also mean it was just active swimming around and slows once they lay there for a bit.

Reactions: Canoeist

Yellow ducky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2019
Oh. There is no said ray, i just wanted to know,you know, just in case in the future

Castexi

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
For the future, there are a lot of things to look for/at when you're looking for a labored breathing or stressed ray. The spiracles(holes behind the eyes) will become whiter, raw and look worn if the water is bad - the gill area and stomach can also turn pinkish red(not to be confused with the standard pinkish belly some juveniles have). The whole body will lurch up and down with heavy/labored breathing and you'll see them appear to be almost bouncing if it's bad enough.

Reactions: Matteus

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
I lightly pinched a motoro's disc while gravel vacuuming and he had a little freak out. Buried himself in the gravel and definitely noticed increased breathing for a minute or 2. No damage

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store