Just WOW

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I don't get why people aren't scared of orcas, they are the world's dominant predator. Far more dangerous than a shark or lion or bear - a bull can be as big as the small end estimate of T-rex, and no less deadly.

Btw, in the wild, there are birds that clean crocs' and hippos' teeth, like cleaner shrimp, and they don't get eaten. If the croc thinks of you as a cleaner bird you might be safe.
J.H. buddy I would actually have to disagree that orcas are more dangerous than sharks, lions or bears -- orcas are far more intelligent creatures than any of the 3 you've listed, esp. in their hunting techniques, and thus less likely to make a mistake about their prey, compared to say sharks, which frequently mistake swimmers/divers for seals etc. I could be wrong but I don't even think there have ever been any recorded attacks on humans by an orca let alone deaths.

[but agreed jaws7777 they can be utterly brutal when it comes to their prey].

Another crazy story though: once while water skiing in Alaska (during a break from commercial salmon fishing on a remote island in the summer, though of course still wearing dry suits), 2 orcas came up behind me, about 30 yards away. I signaled to my buddies in the skiff to head to shore because truthfully I was scared they'd look at me as bait or something to play with, but it was all for nought, they followed behind for a ways but turned away before we got to shore -- if those were great white or tiger sharks, could have turned out very differently.

And I don't know about lions but believe me, coming between a mama bear and her cub is one of the very last things on earth you'd ever want to do: rage incarnate.

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think had the orca had a calf present things could have been different. Probably are less aggressive than other top predators but shark attacks are survivable. I think if an orca decided to use a human as a play toy like they do with seals when teaching the young how to hunt.... its game over.

btw I probably would have left a trail of brown sludge if followed by a pair of orca lmao

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
J.H. buddy I would actually have to disagree that orcas are more dangerous than sharks, lions or bears -- orcas are far more intelligent creatures than any of the 3 you've listed, esp. in their hunting techniques, and thus less likely to make a mistake about their prey, compared to say sharks, which frequently mistake swimmers/divers for seals etc. I could be wrong but I don't even think there have ever been any recorded attacks on humans by an orca let alone deaths.

[but agreed jaws7777 they can be utterly brutal when it comes to their prey].

Another crazy story though: once while water skiing in Alaska (during a break from commercial salmon fishing on a remote island in the summer, though of course still wearing dry suits), 2 orcas came up behind me, about 30 yards away. I signaled to my buddies in the skiff to head to shore because truthfully I was scared they'd look at me as bait or something to play with, but it was all for nought, they followed behind for a ways but turned away before we got to shore -- if those were great white or tiger sharks, could have turned out very differently.

And I don't know about lions but believe me, coming between a mama bear and her cub is one of the very last things on earth you'd ever want to do: rage incarnate.
Only dangerous animal I've really met is the brown bears we have in NY. They want to mind their own business just as much as I do. I have met mothers with cubs and they backed away same as I did, two of the times, the third they went right on digging in a dumpster and completely ignored me as I watched. I am sure a bear could outrun me and rip me to shreds they just don't want to. Only wild animal I've had attack me are Canadian Geese. They are very aggressive especially when they have eggs or gosling's.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I think had the orca had a calf present things could have been different. Probably are less aggressive than other top predators but shark attacks are survivable. I think if an orca decided to use a human as a play toy like they do with seals when teaching the young how to hunt.... its game over.

btw I probably would have left a trail of brown sludge if followed by a pair of orca lmao
It's quite possible that's true about a calf being present and I surely wouldn't want to test the theory! That said my overall point still stands, esp. when one considers the statistics involved.

We actually saw Orcas quite frequently around those islands (near Kodiak), they never hassled us -- now sea lions, that's another story -- experts at stealing salmon from set-nets (and messing them up in the process)!

And true about geese J.H., they are bad ass -- in Thailand smart people don't keep dogs to keep away cobras -- they keep geese!

Reactions: J. H.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Only dangerous animal I've really met is the brown bears we have in NY. They want to mind their own business just as much as I do. I have met mothers with cubs and they backed away same as I did, two of the times, the third they went right on digging in a dumpster and completely ignored me as I watched. I am sure a bear could outrun me and rip me to shreds they just don't want to. Only wild animal I've had attack me are Canadian Geese. They are very aggressive especially when they have eggs or gosling's.
yeah geese are nasty little buggers. we used to fish in one of the lakes on staten island those geese have no fear

Reactions: J. H.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Speaking of bad ass birds...just recently:

Florida Man Killed By Cassowary, Known as ‘World’s Most Dangerous Bird’

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Reminds me of Pit Bulls

I don't know why my <insert animal> went crazy and attacked/and killed. He was so loving.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Reminds me of Pit Bulls

I don't know why my <insert animal> went crazy and attacked/and killed. He was so loving.
Hello; I did not watch the video of the woman swimming with the alligator. Not sure what she is out to prove. Some years ago a fellow (Timmy Timmerson I think) went to live among grizzlie bears. He made a film of it. He actually did ok for a while, maybe years. Eventually took a girlfriend with him to live among the bears. Best I ever heard was one day the bears decided somehow to eat both of them.
Far as I know it is no secret that alligators will eat people. Nor is it a secret that the large flightless birds can and do kill people. Most dogs do not kill people thank goodness. I also guess most pitt bull types do not kill people either, thank goodness again. But it is no secret that the pitt bull types kill more people than any other sort of dogs. (52% of all fatal maulings in one study were from the pittbull types.)
Back when I lived in NC near Wilmington I was warned about fishing in small ponds and lakes. Saw several small gators.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store