Juvenile Oscar

Oscar512

Feeder Fish
Oct 12, 2016
I just got a juvenile tiger oscar from my local pet store. Fish seems to be doing well swims around well and everything seems good. However, for some odd reason when the lights in the room are turned on or the tank light is turned on it will go to a corner and pout on the bottom. Also in two days it has only ate 2 mini pellets of hikiri dry food. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help the oscar be less shy or atleast come up for food as I dont want this to become a lasting issue. Thanks!

By the way it is the only fish in a 55 gallon tank I plan to hopefully upgrade to a larger tank in the future allowing room for more room as he/she grows.

Oscar512

Feeder Fish
Oct 12, 2016
Thanks, I'm looking into some driftwood/plants. Currently there are a few decorations which is sticks close by. Also for some reason is rather attracted to the heater. Ha. water temp is at 80F and the thermostat is rather far from the heater so water temp should be great.

Reactions: tlindsey

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
They can be drama queens for sure, even flopping over on to their side. Main thing is to keep good water parameters and feed a quality pellet food for your oscar's main food. Like you've probably read, a 55g is the bare minimum recommended tank size for a single oscar by themselves. I would not add any additional fish to this tank.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Bear in mind that Oscars have a penchant for rearranging their tanks, not always to the liking of their owners. Any plants/decorations/rocks/driftwood etc. should either be secured or heavy enough that the fish cannot move them. They are cichlids and as such, they like to dig so any rocks or heavy items should be such that they will not fall over, injuring the fish or damaging the tank. I have had Oscars in the past. They are full of personality, but understand that they can grow to more than a foot long and are messy. Be sure to keep up with vacuuming your substrate and WEEKLY water changes. Have fun, they are really neat fish

bland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2015
Go get some giant danios as dither fish to help your oscar be less shy. I had about a dozen as my oscar was growing, and as he grew he would pick one off every now and then. It's been a year and I only have one left.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Oscars do not need friends, they do quite well alone, and a tank that small no real room for any. keep an eye on his poop. If its white stringy or ropy will need to treat. Baby Oscars should be in your face feed me. so keep an eye on him.

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
nice mate any pictures

oscars pritty much all fish will do that till they feel secure takes a while i have green terrors and guess what they did the same thing

Fish Lover 2017

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2017
Oscar's are very intelligent the juvie O needs a little time to adjust to you and his new home . Its normal behavior don't worry little guy/gal will be interacting with you in no time. Plants and even driftwood would make Oscar more comfortable.
Thank you so much for your tips....I am having this problem too. But I had the tank more than a month already. But shouldn't it be used to the environment already?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store