juvenile senegalus not eating

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
Have you checked your water parameters lately?

I think most people here feed polys only 1x/day even for babies. Then as they get a little bigger most feed every other day. I think this is even more important for CB polys who are likely to eat more than they should. They don't seem to have the off switch dialed as well as their WC friends. :)
I had been going by what I read in one of the pinned info threads that said a couple of small meals a day for growing youngsters? I have been testing more frequently and I only had a tiny jump 0.1 ppm in Ammonia when I first added the fish to the tank. Since then I remove any uneaten food quickly and do spot clean up if I notice a bunch of waste. and weekly water changes. thanks for the heads up though I will keep an eye on parameters.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
It's hard to figure out the balance initially with new fish, how much water to change etc so I'd check a couple times a week, esp. right before the WC to make sure you're on track. And do at least 50% for 1x/wk. Especially since you have messy piggy cichlids in there with him. ;)

You also might decrease the amount of food. If there is uneaten food you should cut back a little. Just feed small bits at a time and be sure they're chowing all of it down before you add more. It's better to err on the side of underfeeding than overfeeding for water quality IME.

Curious if others feed baby polys more than 1x/day or not... tlindsey tlindsey kno4te kno4te Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 J jaws7777 twentyleagues twentyleagues

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I generally do daily till there size starts to slow down. I know others have fed more than once a day feeding and no issues but I worry about bloat, esp cb polys.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
It's hard to figure out the balance initially with new fish, how much water to change etc so I'd check a couple times a week, esp. right before the WC to make sure you're on track. And do at least 50% for 1x/wk. Especially since you have messy piggy cichlids in there with him. ;)

You also might decrease the amount of food. If there is uneaten food you should cut back a little. Just feed small bits at a time and be sure they're chowing all of it down before you add more. It's better to err on the side of underfeeding than overfeeding for water quality IME.

Curious if others feed baby polys more than 1x/day or not... tlindsey tlindsey kno4te kno4te Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 J jaws7777 twentyleagues twentyleagues
When i had small poly 1”-4” ill feed ones a day, but only small amout like 3 bite pieces. For the OP it will be harder, i think he has cichlids in with the poly and they are fast eaters.

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
When i had small poly 1”-4” ill feed ones a day, but only small amout like 3 bite pieces. For the OP it will be harder, i think he has cichlids in with the poly and they are fast eaters.
that is my current feeding schedule, 3 bite-sized pieces of tilapia, cod, shrimp or sometimes a couple of thawed mysis shrimp once a day. my poly is eating well now. the angelfish sometimes beats him to the fish bits so I watch to make sure he gets at least a bite or two. the poly has finally settled in I think because he knows when the light is dimmed it is time to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store