K1 Filtration for rays plug!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Perfect timing.......

I just finished a new bio reactor (moving bed filter) that addresses several issues I've found with previous reactors over the years. I'm pretty proud of this thing, as I've found flaws with EVERY single one I've ever built. BUT unfortunately these flaws aren't something you can notice in the first year or 2 of running, but after several years there becomes failures that must be either maintained or they become an unavoidable failure.

K1 is the eel of media. IF there's a way to get out it WILL find it.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Perfect timing.......

I just finished a new bio reactor (moving bed filter) that addresses several issues I've found with previous reactors over the years. I'm pretty proud of this thing, as I've found flaws with EVERY single one I've ever built. BUT unfortunately these flaws aren't something you can notice in the first year or 2 of running, but after several years there becomes failures that must be either maintained or they become an unavoidable failure.

K1 is the eel of media. IF there's a way to get out it WILL find it.
If you don't mind, can you share with us? You've been doing this a long time, I'm sure we all have something we can learn from you DB junkie DB junkie

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I need to get some pics to make it easier to understand.....

Would probably be best to start at the very beginning.

Bullet points would include stupid diffusers and issues associated with said diffusers, how stupid and worthless strainers are, flowrate doesntmatteritis, vessels attempted, and the never ending debate of socks where and why it might not be as silly as it sounds. Stay tuned, will work on pics.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
So what's the best to stop k1 from passing through but dosnt restrict flow to much?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
K1 breaks down after 5 yrs old, it makes small splinters and gets everywhere, I have sealed sponges and weirs but it still got through.

When stripping it out it was falling apart in my hands. Maidenhead Aquatics that I spoke to has had a number of blocked pumps now their k1 is over 5 yrs old.

Reactions: eddiegunks

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
My K1 has been running for 5 years. Actually longer because I bought it all used. I don't see any evidence of what you describe. I'll keep an eye out and look for signs. All pieces are firm to the squeeze. My system has not behaved in the way you describe, asking my friends who have used it longer and they say the same.

I've heard of people running it for over a decade.

Massive industrial Koi farms use this product. Huge waste water treatment facilities use this product in massive amounts. Beyond the scale any of us use it in. It must be possible to design a system that does not have the problems described? Has anyone else noticed their product break down? I've never heard of this before, but would like to know more.

Would you recommend I replace my media as it is well over 5 years old? I would do so preemptively if needed to prevent disasters.

Look at the industrial application

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store