Kamalau flowerhorn

Justinkingcichlid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2019
I just bought a kamalau flowerhorn and I don’t know anything about these types. What does AAAA mean? And do they grow big and quick?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I just bought a kamalau flowerhorn and I don’t know anything about these types. What does AAAA mean? And do they grow big and quick?
AAAA is just a fake rank that ppl give these fish in order to sell em faster. As for how fast they grow it depends on its size already. I'm guessing that's it's roughly 3in and if that's the case it'll be a couple years before it's fully grown. They tend to stop growing at around 2-2.5years of age. Expect it to get upto anywhere between 8-12in in length, females tend to stay smaller then males do. Also don't be too worried about grades unless your planning on competing with it but if your interest in the real grading system that they use in competitions it goes as follows.

D. (As close as it can be to the original building blocks for the specie, also included major defects or blemishes)
C.
B.
A.
AA.
AAA.
S. (Perfection for the specie, P.S. this grade is "near impossible" to obtain in the USA)

Btw if ya don't mind me asking, could we get a pic or 2 of the lil guy or have ya not got it yet?

Reactions: Ruturaj

Justinkingcichlid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2019
AAAA is just a fake rank that ppl give these fish in order to sell em faster. As for how fast they grow it depends on its size already. I'm guessing that's it's roughly 3in and if that's the case it'll be a couple years before it's fully grown. They tend to stop growing at around 2-2.5years of age. Expect it to get upto anywhere between 8-12in in length, females tend to stay smaller then males do. Also don't be too worried about grades unless your planning on competing with it but if your interest in the real grading system that they use in competitions it goes as follows.

D. (As close as it can be to the original building blocks for the specie, also included major defects or blemishes)
C.
B.
A.
AA.
AAA.
S. (Perfection for the specie, P.S. this grade is "near impossible" to obtain in the USA)

Btw if ya don't mind me asking, could we get a pic or 2 of the lil guy or have ya not got it yet?
I was also hoping to breed this cichlid.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thank you. So from what your telling me they can get just as big as a red dragon but grow at a slower rate? Here’s a picture of my kamalau flowerhorn.

View attachment 1427046
They grow at about the same rate. Red dragons take roughly 2 yearsish to grow to max size, I personally have some red dragon fader's atm and they both took a lil over 2 years to stop growing, granted both of mine are female so the largest one I got is only 8-8.5in. As for breeding I would say go for it. Yours looks like a solid AA grade to me, only part where he loses points on is that it's color and pearls don't wrap around the front of his face and that his flowerline isn't completely connected. Over all tho I'd say it's a very good example of how that specie should look. Definitely a good find/buy there.

Any idea of what your planning on breeding him with?

Last edited:

Justinkingcichlid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2019
I’m hoping to breed him with a female red dragon that I’m growing out at the moment. The parents had great red coloration. Although, the flowers aren’t too great. Any ideas to what other cichlid I can breed him with so that the juveniles would come out with beautiful coloration and make amazing flowerhorns?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I’m hoping to breed him with a female red dragon that I’m growing out at the moment. The parents had great red coloration. Although, the flowers aren’t too great. Any ideas to what other cichlid I can breed him with so that the juveniles would come out with beautiful coloration and make amazing flowerhorns?
Carpinitus cichlid (better looking relative to the Texas cichlid), Red Texas cichlid, Red Terror cichlid, Jaguar cichlid or a Cuban cichlid. Any one of em would make some nice looking fry imo. The last 2 would be harder to mix breed just because of the difference in body shape.

But honestly tho I would stick with another good looking FH for starters, you can always experiment later down the road once ya have collected some nice fry from your original pair. The hardest part of mix breeding is to get the traits you want all in 1 fish and being able to breed em true to those standards. Lol if it was easy we would have thousands of different designer hybrid fish out on the market.

Justinkingcichlid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2019
Carpinitus cichlid (better looking relative to the Texas cichlid), Red Texas cichlid, Red Terror cichlid, Jaguar cichlid or a Cuban cichlid. Any one of em would make some nice looking fry imo. The last 2 would be harder to mix breed just because of the difference in body shape.

But honestly tho I would stick with another good looking FH for starters, you can always experiment later down the road once ya have collected some nice fry from your original pair. The hardest part of mix breeding is to get the traits you want all in 1 fish and being able to breed em true to those standards. Lol if it was easy we would have thousands of different designer hybrid fish out on the market.

I’ll try with a flowerhorn first and go from there. Maybe a nice red Texas or festae terror cichlid will be good.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Vieja, it will produce a kamfa. Get a female with nice colors and if possible minor hump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store