Keeping a group of pikes long term

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I recently lost my female Venezuelan pike, so I decided to get a new one. My lfs had a nice 4-5” atabapo 2, so I got it and it’s doing well. Subsequently they got some more so I bought 2 more. The latter two seem to get along and are togethe while the first, which is an inch larger, is alone.
My question is, can I keep a group of 3-4 of these together for th long term or will they eventually Square off and fight?
I could get a 4th but don’t want to have them all separated
The ultimate plan is 125 gallon with a few canisters, sponges and peat in the filter.
My other concern is that the local water is very hand and I don’t know how well the pest will correct that. I’m worried about hole in the head. My Venezuelan’s resolved after I got her and I didn’t have her in black water.
The pic is the first one. They’re all really shy.
Also, any tips to get them on pellets?

D3149F4F-9B64-4644-B850-AF5FCF1103EB.jpeg

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
Here’s one of the other ones - the 3rd won’t come out of the flowerpot …
You can see the ridgeback musk turtle that shares their tank in the background. It’s basically a moving rock.

8125C4DD-BD31-4542-8F5E-19C7DE9D2F2A.jpeg

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My opinion here. Likely square of and fight. Need big space and hides to make it happen but a 125g won’t do it IMO. Safer try would be pikes in the saxatalis group or dearves. Hard water will cause hith in these types of pikes eventually. My old pair eventually took pellets after some time of starving.

Reactions: tlindsey

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
So given that I’ve never kept pike cichlids together before, do the two 5 inch fish I have get along because they’re young, or could they be a compatible pair. They’re together all the time, never fight, though one hides less than the other, Almost like it’s standing guard. Besides the turtle, there’s a small bichir in the tank I haven’t moved yet, and the more extroverted pike keeps chasing it away from their flowerpot. Seems young and fast to pair up, but what do I know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store