Keeping a lone Clown Loach. OK?

Sidrock

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Bombay, India
papawoody;4822083; said:
i think whether a single would be ok depends a lot on the other stock in the tank .
Other stock in the tank will be Malawi Cichlids: 3 Dolphins (C. moorii), 3 Yellow Labs, one "German Red" Peacock and a couple of Giraffes (I may add a couple more Yellow Labs and a Sunshine Yellow Peacock but No aggressive Mbuna!) .

(Planned tank size is 4x2x2ft which is about 120 Gal. This is the scheduled "upgrade" for my Malawi stock.)

As there will be no other bottom-dwellers in this tank, I think it should be ok.

-Sid

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Single clown loaches will generally become very aggressive to other fish in the tank or hide most of the time. If it is a good deal get it, in time you can add more for a school. The loach will survive being alone.

Mavrick813;4821967; said:
I kept 3 in a 4ft 55 for a year. Got them when they were small to keep with my tiger barbs. Maybe I over fed or something because they were almost 8 inches in a year. and I gave them back to the LFS.
Hope you got a good price for your 8" CLs :bs: They easily sell for 100 bucks apiece at that size.

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Sidrock;4821877; said:
Hi Guys,

I have a question:

Can I keep a single Clown Loach in a 4ft tank with other fish (of compatible sizes)?

I am asking because I think most people keep CLs in schools.

I had an opportunity to buy a 5-6" Clown Loach for less than 10 USD. (It was the only piece that size in a batch of 2-3 inchers). I had to pass that offer because I didn't know if I could keep one alone.

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Sid

PS: A few months ago, I lost a 7" BGK (which I had grown out from 4" and was in a cycled tank) after nothing more than a water-change. (I also lost 4-5" Red-Tailed Sharks a few months before that..) I have lot a bit of my confidence with scaleless fish.. I don't want to make any decisions without consulting the experts here on IAH.
why would you only keep one, they aren't that expensive are you joking?:screwy:

nigaharu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
Where palm trees sway
Mavrick813;4821967; said:
I kept 3 in a 4ft 55 for a year. Got them when they were small to keep with my tiger barbs. Maybe I over fed or something because they were almost 8 inches in a year. and I gave them back to the LFS.
There must be a secret growth food you fed them throughout the year. Let us in nor the secret to monster clowns!

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
papawoody;4822055; said:
i call B.S.
So do I, total BS. No way no way! Especially if they aren't flipping genetically modified and healthy...

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
nigaharu;4838428; said:
There must be a secret growth food you fed them throughout the year. Let us in nor the secret to monster clowns!
He's talking BS...don't be so gullable!:ROFL:

Zeetrain

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
Connecticut
Sidrock;4821877; said:
I had an opportunity to buy a 5-6" Clown Loach for less than 10 USD. (It was the only piece that size in a batch of 2-3 inchers).
Dude I woulda jumped on that offer in a heart beat.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
At the price you quoted I'd go back and buy some of the smaller ones too around here a cl that size would bring over twice that much 1.5 inchers are 10 bucks. They don't seem to get picked on much we have 2 inchers in a community tank that contains a 8 inch oscar and they are fine. They are also inthere with 4 4inch cl's I say go for it you will love them.

BuffaloFish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
Buffalo
Old thread, but want to note in case others are reviewing for reference. While keeping a single clown is "do-able," it is not in any way advisable. One clown living happily in a community tank with other fish is a great exception, and is certainly not the rule. Clowns are highly social animals and most feel that keeping a solitary animal is akin to torture. I recommend five as the minimum number to be kept.

IMHO:

1 = torture.
2 = potentially-relentless bullying and in-fighting.
3 = the potential for the ganging up of two loaches on the lowest-ranked loach.
4 = almost there, and you're starting to get close to a nice society.
5 = minimum number to keep, allowing for a good hierarchy with reduced sparring, which is spread out among many loaches when it does occur.

With clowns, and most any botia, it really is the more the merrier. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store