Keeping females with male peacock cichlids

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
I know that it is boy recommended and many people say just don't because if the agression it can cause, but recently I saw a friend's tank who had beautiful male african peacocks and haps and he said they were so colorful because he had a couple of females in the tank (like 3 females with 15ish males and he's had it no problem for years). You can tell me don't do it as much as you want, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had success in similar tanks like my friends, many males and a couple females, and what their male to female ratio is.
Thanks

Reactions: jcarson

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
Breaking general rules of keeping certain species always has its risks.
What works in a tank you saw might not work in your tank.
You have to remember each fish is unique to its species and has their own personalities.

If its something you want to see in your tank than you must make the best choice based on your current tank situation. How big is your tank? Scape? etc.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Well I have 6 brothers they spent their whole life together, half Acie half dragons blood peacock, solid blue. With 2 females.
They get along very well, only one will spawn.

My yellow labs, and psuedo trophus all have one Male, as they constantly battle.

Even though they also grew up together.

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for the input, I understand all fish have their own personality so. The reason I asked is I was given a female by accident and wanted to know if she would be ok with males. So far she is fine and even laying eggs but I have been keep an eye on her (as of now she's the biggest fish and claimed a cave under some wood). I have a 55g and the scape has a lot of rocks sorta like most mbuna scapes but not as high and the one log so it's working as of now. I'll post again if something happens where I have to remove her but it does not look like I will have to with the younger cichlids. Maybe in a couple months things will change
Thanks

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store