keeping illegal fish

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
tyl089;5050052; said:
about the baby turtles; illegal to sell not due to endanger status; since most baby turtles for sale back then were red ear sliders.

reason was because some kids were putting the tiny things in their mouths and getting salmonella bacteria infections.

Funny thing is, all turtles and even tortoises can carry salmonella just because you don't shove one in your mouth doesn't mean you can't get the bacteria some other way.
I think thats called Darwinism and its an amazing thing!

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Cloudk;5050081; said:
The thing about the baby turtles is funny. Because ur more likely to get sick from undercooked chicken. But one thing I wanna know, is why in god's name would u let ur child put a turtle in it's mouth? Bad parenting. Period. But, it's not like they grow out of salmonella. If they have it, they may even get sick themselves. I still think it's funny that ur more likely to get it from undercooked meats. But no one's gonna outlaw or make laws on cooking meats, so I guess they did what they thought was best. But most turtles don't have it. From what I know, the likelihood of them having it is based on their health. I've sucked in turtle water(stupid syphoning), I have 3, not sick. I'm not suggesting u go to ur local pond and suck on turtles, but better parenting would be a much better method to the selling of baby turtles.
yeah I remember hearing that now i just always thought it was a myth but apparently not. Wow. I if I'm not mistaken its not that reptiles produce that bacteria as much as they can carry it right. Also the bacteria is generated in the living environment from poor living conditions standing unclean water if I'm not mistaken. So basically its a law passed while the congressmen firmly had their head planted up their buts. There is no scientific or rational thought in that law. I think they should create a branch of the government that has a full time job repealing stupid legislation.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Thinking about banning any one species and then in my head I start banning pretty much every monster fish on this sight should be illegal in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, Alabama, etc. I just feel like its to dangerous to allow the fish trade in a tropical or warm state all together. Same goes for reptiles, Dogs and cats should be banned nationally. on the basis of survivability if I walked into a pet store 90 percent of the stock in that store would be banned nationally. I'm sorry but I can't create a criteria that bans any single animal where I wouldn't be able to apply that a overwhelming number of other animals. Just looks like all we can hope for is good animal husbandry.

Conclusion I don't care if someone keeps illegal fish because I feel like all pets should be illegal on the basis of such bans. I find my whole collection(african cichlids and assorted oddballs) in violation of such principles therefore the laws are not valid but rather flawed. If an officer of the law could enforce the law without special instruction then I think we can declare it pretty irrelevant. Unless on the basis of a mass violation(poaching en mass or releasing of fish into nonnative waters) there is no harm to either the intent of the law or the nation it "protects" I hope that conclusion is a fair answer to the OP Took me a while to get there. Just wish I could get dwarf snakeheads.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
tyl089;5050052; said:
about the baby turtles; illegal to sell not due to endanger status; since most baby turtles for sale back then were red ear sliders.

reason was because some kids were putting the tiny things in their mouths and getting salmonella bacteria infections.

Funny thing is, all turtles and even tortoises can carry salmonella just because you don't shove one in your mouth doesn't mean you can't get the bacteria some other way.
I often wonder how humans managed to survive to reproduce before we had big brother to protect us from ourselves. :screwy:

OMGFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2010
N/A
lolz the govt make the email for endangerment, poisonous like rays aggresiveness and snakehead people release them but they spread like heck. Florida it is illegal to have a snakehead but some ***** had one anyway then released it. Then Florida is flooded with them. still illegal tho

HyPHyISM42o

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2010
where we have it for cheap
i think dumb people do dumb stuff and mess it up for all of us. Sure id love to have a freshwater stingray or a cool batch of piranahs... but im in the "best" state cali where its not gonna happen. Now am i gonna move to sum substandard state so i can keep what I want hell no.....lmao just kiddding bout sub standard states tho......I will just go to steinhart and watch the 1 oclock show....

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
MN_Rebel;5044045; said:
I just think the laws and the bans are just plain dumb. Any reasons why the stinging catfish is banned in United States? I could be wrong or misinformed.
It's related to walking catfish. That entire family of catfish has been banned now.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
nicholasdances;5042542; said:
obviously i understand why alot of fish are illegal in warmer places. BUT I LIVE IN CT. the lakes here get covered with 3 feet of ice. please someone explain to me what a piranha or giant snakehead could do if released in lakes up here. answer....NOTHING.
They could spread non-native parasitic infections to the local waterways in WAY THE HECK less time than it takes you to drill a hole in the ice to plop it in!!! WTF part of parasites DO YOU NOT comprehend?

Pandamania

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Planetwithlotsofwater
This is totally off topic, but.....'big brother' made McD's stop frying their fries in veggie-coconut oil about 30 to 40 yrs ago, because of the fat content in coconut. I loved the occasional 'soggy' one in the box as a kid. ***But now..........it is well known how extremely HEALTHY coconut oil is. Wish 'big bro' would mind it's o-w-n business!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store