Keeping Plants with Cichlids. What had you done?

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
So I have this planted 80 Gal tank with angel fish and a few old random tetras. I really like this tank the plants are growing like weeds. Problem is I want to take down my 100Gal and move my red severum into the planted tank. I know he eats plants but at this point I need a fish to trim the tank.

Beside Rams, angels, and discus. what Cichlids have you kept with plants and how did it go or how long did it last. I think I am going to have to pick fish or plant in the end.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Ive kept all kinds with plants but some species will rip them apart not for food but because they want them out of the way.

Hoplarchus , heros liberifers and rotkiels , all kinds of Crenicichla, geophagus (make sure you anchor them in with rocks because they dig when feeding), aequidiens diadema, most all SA dwarfs and Medium sized cichlids, oscars, Caquetaia. List goes on and on .

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept many cichlids with plants.
Some, vegetarians, and those omnivores leaning toward herbivores side like Vieja never worked for me.Also those that clear a territory to watch for intruders.
Shoaling types have worked the best in my tanks, if kept in a shoal (but not individually)
Below is a tank with shoal of about a dozen Central American Cribroheros (AKA Astatheros) rostratum.

I have also had luck with group of South American Guianacara

If not kept in groups, they seem to get paranoid, and tear up plants.
Some others have been the southern South American cool water Gymnogeophagines, kept in Harems, however they require cool downs other more tropical South American like angels or severs couldn't take.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
So I have this planted 80 Gal tank with angel fish and a few old random tetras. I really like this tank the plants are growing like weeds. Problem is I want to take down my 100Gal and move my red severum into the planted tank. I know he eats plants but at this point I need a fish to trim the tank.

Beside Rams, angels, and discus. what Cichlids have you kept with plants and how did it go or how long did it last. I think I am going to have to pick fish or plant in the end.
A few cichlids are safe with plants I made a list of cichlids fine with rooted plants and plants attached to wood etc.
-Festivum cichlids 15-20cm(occasionally will nibble but once they've tried it that's it) also look like a Severum angel hybrid
-Keyhole cichlids 8-12cm (Good community fish, shy at first)
-Kribensis cichlids 6-10cm (the "perfect" starter cichlid,small,colourful,peaceful and easy to breed)
-Jewel cichlids 8-11cm (semi aggressive cichlid with stunning colours, easy to breed, ok with faster fish which don't occupy the same areas of territory)
-Brichardi/fairy cichlid 7-9cm (African cichlid quite aggressive but capable of being in a planted tank with hardy plants)
-Pike cichlids 8-45cm depending on species (predators who lurk under the cover of vegetation, will eat small fish but dwarf pikes 7-10cm are an option)
-Apistogramma dwarf cichlids 6-8cm (filled with personality)

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
NONE of the Cichlids I keep. LOL. Central American Cichlids that get big....gonna tear up your plants. Severum will definitely eat your plants, too. Especially when they get to be adult fish, full size. Just rip plants out for fun, eat them down to the roots, all that.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have kept plenty of cichlids with plants over the years, my tanks pretty much always have at least anubias in them. Small cichlids like rams, apistos, angels, festivum etc. should be no problem at all. Currently I have 3 angels in a fully planted setup, have had rams and apistos in there as well in the past.
Big cichlids will dig up your plants most likely, but if your like me you don't mind sticking your arm in the tank to re-plant. Long flowy plants won't work with these fish- stick to anubias and java fern and you will be golden.

Reactions: Jexnell and dan518

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
There are a few ways to make plants work with cichlids. Sometimes you can use different ways of planting and get lush effects.
The true herbivorous cichlids will always cause problems.

I've found mosses can work with many cichlids.

DSC_0092~2.jpg

Once it gets hold it can carpet the substrate and rocks. I've also used it floating on the surface,attached to branches near the top of the tank.

DSC_0088~2.jpg

DSC_0105~2.jpg

You can fill a whole tank with it once it gets established to the point that no other plants are really needed.

DSC_0004~2~2.jpg

Another plant I like to use,especially with larger cichlids is hornwart. It won't work or look good planted in the substrate.
I just throw it in and let it grow. It grows quick and can quickly provide a thick covering of green across the tank.
You can also train it through branches to fill in bare spots in the tank.

DSC_0064~2.jpg

Elodea is another easy plant that can be grown in the same way.

2013-02-06 20.38.34.jpg

For cichlids like geophagus,that like to dig a lot,try to place stones or driftwood around the roots to stop them being disturbed.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0088~2.jpg

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
There are a few ways to make plants work with cichlids. Sometimes you can use different ways of planting and get lush effects.
The true herbivorous cichlids will always cause problems.

I've found mosses can work with many cichlids.

View attachment 1282556

Once it gets hold it can carpet the substrate and rocks. I've also used it floating on the surface,attached to branches near the top of the tank.

View attachment 1282570

View attachment 1282571

You can fill a whole tank with it once it gets established to the point that no other plants are really needed.

View attachment 1282559

Another plant I like to use,especially with larger cichlids is hornwart. It won't work or look good planted in the substrate.
I just throw it in and let it grow. It grows quick and can quickly provide a thick covering of green across the tank.
You can also train it through branches to fill in bare spots in the tank.

View attachment 1282572

Elodea is another easy plant that can be grown in the same way.

View attachment 1282573

For cichlids like geophagus,that like to dig a lot,try to place stones or driftwood around the roots to stop them being disturbed.

View attachment 1282574

View attachment 1282567
Beautiful fish and tanks. Thank you for the recommendations.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store