MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey all, two days ago my Kelberi attacked my Prochilodus. Despite being well over half his size he got most of my Prochilodus in his mouth. When I found them my Prochilodus was already dead and trying to catch my bass to pull the fish from his mouth could've injured him.
So I waited an hour before my Kelberi spat the Prochilodus out.
After he did my Kelberi's mouth has been stuck partially open and he has been breathing rapidly.
He can move his mouth mostly but doesn't seem able to open or close it.
I think the jaw either be strained or dislocated. Any idea what I can do for him?

PXL_20220708_195855198.jpg

PXL_20220708_195850408.jpg

Last edited:

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
His jaw bones might be locked in place. kno4te kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gotta net the fish and try pushing the mouth closed. It can work. Best bet. If unable to but can still feed then leave alone.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Safi'jiiva

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Update: He can fully close his mouth on his own but he still keeps it partially open. He isn't eating and he is still breathing heavily and only stits in one area of the tank. I pulled him out of the tank and closed his mouth without any problems but it has not improved anything. It looks like his mouth is flexed open as if he is still holding something in his mouth but there's nothing there. He hasn't swallowed anything and nothing is stuck in his mouth/throat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store