Kelly_Aquatics native fish catching log

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hello! This is where I will be keeping tabs on all the fish species I catch. This is more for me to keep everything organized but I thought you guys might enjoy it. I am in southern ontario. I am trying to catch as many fish species as I can no matter size. All fish were released.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Today I caught three species
Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus)

image_167825921.JPG
Above. The biggest specimen
image_67205121.JPG
Above second biggest (around 5")
image_67219713.JPG
Above Smallest specimen around (2.5-3") This was my favorite it had the best colors the Purple is stunning
image_67161601.JPG
Above what I believe to be either bridle shiner (Notropis bifrenatus) or black nose shiner (Notropis heterolepis)

image_67169281.JPG
Above. My favourite fish of today. I am not 100% sure on species but im leaning towards Lake chub (Couesius plumbeus) although that does not really seem right. I love the elongated face and body. I would love a aquarium of these guys

Tomorrow I plan on visiting a nearby creek that is full of dace species and stickle back it is very small so no one even bothers to fish it Except for me (Although im not going for the same fish most people do lol).

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Nice catch Kelly_Aquatics Kelly_Aquatics ,
Some other fish that may be in you neck of the woods are "Pumpkinseed" which is a beautiful sunfish with tons of color. There is also a fish called a Rock Bass which has bright red eyes. I live in the USA in the north, I can get to Canada in an hours drive. Have you ever seen these fish before.

#1 Pumpkinseed #2 Rock Bass

Sunfish.jpgBluegill-Rock-Bass-Fly-Fishing.jpg

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Nice catch Kelly_Aquatics Kelly_Aquatics ,
Some other fish that may be in you neck of the woods are "Pumpkinseed" which is a beautiful sunfish with tons of color. There is also a fish called a Rock Bass which has bright red eyes. I live in the USA in the north, I can get to Canada in an hours drive. Have you ever seen these fish before.

#1 Pumpkinseed #2 Rock Bass

View attachment 1458433View attachment 1458436
Yes I have seen both. Have caught pumpkin seed on the nith river and a pond just down the road has rock bass maybe I will target them soon. I’m going to a local creek now will post what I catch.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Ok just got back this was the result.
From now on common and scientific names will be above the pictures.

Blacknose Dace (Rhinichthys atratulus) my favorite of the day.
image_67176449.JPG

Juvenile Blacknose Dace
image_67145985.JPG

image_67206401.JPG
Not 100% sure but im thinking Spot Tail Shiner (Notropis hudsonius)

Also Caught a bonus creature!
image_67514625.JPG

Later today I will be going to some other local bodies of water in search of various pan fish species
and maybe the Nith river for some sucker and stone roller species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store