Kens fish food thoughts

Megamonsters

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2019
On the search for cheaper fish food I stumbled upon kens fish and the prices are amazing. I really want to buy some of their krill and cichlid pellets. I saw a post on here about them already but that was in 2016 so I was wondering if anyone has more recent experience with them that they could share.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
On the search for cheaper fish food I stumbled upon kens fish and the prices are amazing. I really want to buy some of their krill and cichlid pellets. I saw a post on here about them already but that was in 2016 so I was wondering if anyone has more recent experience with them that they could share.
I have been feeding my fish Ken's Fish large krill pellet, and small catfish pellet for years alternate with other brands.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ive used kens for 10+ yrs… majority of everything is good across the board. The krill pellets are a bit hard but its a good staple food. The flake and cichlid pellets are good as well. If ur fish are small get the smaller sized krill pellets.

Megamonsters

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2019
I have been feeding my fish Ken's Fish large krill pellet, and small catfish pellet for years alternate with other brands.
I remember reading about someone saying that the food does on a number on the water parameters and if over fed causes ammonia spikes fast? Ever happened with you?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I remember reading about someone saying that the food does on a number on the water parameters and if over fed causes ammonia spikes fast? Ever happened with you?
No I don't feed too many and feed every other day to my large bichirs.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have been using Ken's Fish pellets and flakes for about 4 years. I love them (because my fish love them and do well on them).
I keep 3 types of his "Ultra" flake foods: Spirulina, Earthworm and Multiworm. I also keep ~10 different types of his pellets. I rotate what I feed, and complement with frozen food, earthworms, insects, veggies, Nori, and Repashy. I also finely grind several of the different pellets, and mix them with flakes. This I consider an excellent 'community food', which is one of the rotating items.
I have also used Ken's Metronidazole flakes (in fact, currently in use with some new fish in QT).
Altogether I consider Kens foods as of very good quality, particularly when rotated with fresh foods. The prices are very favorable (particularly in the mid- to larger size packages). I keep my stock refrigerated or frozen, except for small amounts for regular use.
I have thought of starting a thread about this before, because I have been somewhat surprised that not more people seem to use these foods, or at least they are less frequently mentioned in threads, versus other brands. For me, excellent! Yes, some of the pellets are quite hard, such as the black soldier ant pellets, but then again, silver dollars love to chew!
I will add that Ken's Fish also have extremely good prices on a wide variety of dry goods. For filter replacement parts, I have found no better. And around black friday last year, I bought 2 Aquaclear 110 from them, after extensive shopping and price comparisons (couldnt be beat!). And no, I am not affiliated with them, nor receive any benefit from speaking highly of their business.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store