kiddie pool ray?

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
is there any ray i could keep in one of those large kiddie pools at walmart?

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
You can, their not that deep and their a risk that the ray will come up and out the pool.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Don't try to keep rays on the cheap, the place to keep them is the least of your worries. The filtration needs to be massive, the food bill is large, cheap rays die as they don't eat, have parasites or are stressed from wild caught shipping.

A Walmart pool could easily break and kill the ray.

I think you would at least need a large pump, protect that from the ray and a large pond filter. Hearing could be an issue as you need to keep the heaters away from the rays.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
If your going to use a liner why not build yourself a sturdy plywood tank instead, it is very easy with a liner. You just have to frame the walls, add some plywood, and then put a tarp down before the liner to protect it. I have litterally built ponds like this in a day, I do however have the advantage of a nail gun. You can see some of one in the background of this picture, in the upper left corner, i have a smaller version running now if you would like to see some more detailed shots.

As for filtration I would recommend something larger, one of these feeding a large DIY trickle filter is what I would use. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10394

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
thanks I will probably just build the plywood tank. how big is it gonna have to be to fit 2 hystryx?

Florencebigfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
Florence, KY
Our breeding pond was 36" tall and our big Motoro's could still easily rocket themselves to the top, especially at feeding time. Coming 6" or more above the water line. You want the walls tall enough you can still have plenty of water, but not have to fill it so full they are too near the top. A top is a must unless you have substantial wall height above the water level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store