Kidney failure in dogs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siemens2

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Norwalk, IA
If anyone has had a dog with acute renal kidney failure please reply. My almost 4 year old APBT stopped eating a little over a week ago, and went into the vet. Blood work was done and her levels were off the charts. My wife talked with them and the levels are supposed to be around 25 and they are in the 140's. If anyone has dealt with this with any success, and have ideas let me know.
Jason

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
About 10 years ago my family had a Labrador that got lyme disease from a deer tick bite. We didn't realise he had the disease until the vet confirmed it after a week of not being able to keep any food down. We took him all over the place to different vets to see if there was anyway to save him but in the end we had to put him down because of advanced kidney failure.

I'm not saying that your dog couldn't pull through but in our case, lyme disease was fatal to our dog. Good luck with the treatment, I hope that your dog will make a speedy recovery.

Siemens2

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Norwalk, IA
I hope so, but she's been at the vet since Friday morning on IV's and her levels have gone down a little. And she's still not eating.
Jason

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Kidney failure is a consequence, very often, of another disease. My male BX had it as a consequence of acute Leichmaniosis and died.

you're doing what you can. what will be, will be, in the end. G Luck

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I'm not sure what brand of food it was but the vet gave our dog some special kind of moist can food that was designed for dogs with kidney problems. I recall that it was very expensive but we didn't really care about the price at the time. You do what you can for your best friends!

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
what type of food were you feeding. i remember all those recalls a few weeks back. the reason for the recall is about 2000 dogs had kidney failure.

look into and good luck with your dog.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Vicious_Fish;1043719; said:
I'm not sure what brand of food it was but the vet gave our dog some special kind of moist can food that was designed for dogs with kidney problems. I recall that it was very expensive but we didn't really care about the price at the time. You do what you can for your best friends!
must have been Hills Diet..we've all been through that route...:(

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I lost a dog to kidney failure, it turned out she swallowed a mouse or two that had ingested D-Con. Anti-freeze can also cause problems, it tastes sweet.

best of luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store