Kidney failure in dogs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiei

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
fl.
That suxs My wife is a manager of an animal hosp let me know the numbers and what u were feeding and I will let you know what I find out dogs can survive kidney failure but they must ingest plenty of liquids the food you need now is science diet for kidneys KD

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
A couple years ago one of my dogs had kidney failure. My mom decided that she would try home IV's. It only lasted about a week before he got bad enough that we had to put him down. I know she also feed him a special doctor formulated food for kidney problems. I hope your dog makes it out ok.

Siemens2

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Norwalk, IA
She won't eat the Hill k/d. Going to try the raw food diet. Going to go with a jugular(sp) i/v tomorrow. Levels are dropping but still high. Creatine 6.9;BUN 78 were 9.8 and 171 on friday.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
why don't you try boiled chicken and brown rice... why does it have to be dog food... it would be awesome to see him eat something.... sometimes if the problem causing the kidney problem is eliminated the kidneys improve greatly.,.. so i just wonder what it was that caused it... i wish you the best.. i have had dogs with kidney failure but it was only elderly dogs.... where function stopped because of age.. and many many dog foods under so many different brands... were the culprit in the dogs getting sick... i hope you check out everything... with this melamine thing going on again with milk and dairy products to add increase protein amounts etc..who knows...

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
Baby food nuked for a few seconds can often be very palatable as well as Hill's a/d. Best of luck to your dog, as a vet tech myself I have seen many many recovieries but also many losses. The vast improvement of your dog's numbers is encouraging. Good for you for doing the best you can. Be careful of that vet bill and ask about care credit.

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
First off, I wish you and your little girl the best of luck.

My grandparents mini schnauzer went through this, he was older, though, and they decided after treatment didn't work, to let him die in his own time.
He suffered horribly, and near the end they wished they had put him dowm weeks ago.
So if the vets cannot help her, and it's obvious she won't make it, let her go peacefully.

I am very upset to hear this, my pittie is about 2, and I cannot imagine her being so sick.. I feel very bad for you guys.
Our GSD is having kidney problems, and it is very upsetting to watch her go through this. But at least she is an older lady.
I'll say a prayer for you.. Good luck :(

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
This thread is more than a year old. The OP hasn't been here in months. I will close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store