Killer Dragon Blood Peacock

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
Our dragon blood peacock was the dominant male in the tank from pretty much day 1, when he and the rest of the fish were only an inch to 1.5 inches.

He is currently the only fish that has reached max size already. He's definitely 6 inches. Some of the other fish may be close to 5 and some of the others have more growing to do.

Every fish has a personality and this fish does not like any fish shaped like a peacock. It has stressed out any peacock entering the tank to the point that they are dead in 2 weeks flat. One lasted a month. He eventually killed our red empress that was able to hold on for almost 2 years. He doesn't seem to tolerate anything that may try to compete with him.

I don't want to get rid of him, even though he's a complete a**. Seems to be the cichlid way.

However, curiously, our much younger red empress has colored up since the older one died. It is maybe 3 inches. He is currently not being chased. He is also the smallest in the tank. I'm not sure if the dragon blood almost finds the fish laughable because it's half of his size and doesn't feel intimidated or eventually if there will be problems like the other red empress.

I know no one can predict the future for me, but I really hope this red empress makes it and also something in our tank puts that dragon blood in his place. Is it possible with the current happenings in the tank that this red empress can hold his own? We have had the younger one since last October. He has grown at a very slow rate unlike the rest of our fish. Seems to be eating a lot more now that the bigger red empress is gone.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Our dragon blood peacock was the dominant male in the tank from pretty much day 1, when he and the rest of the fish were only an inch to 1.5 inches.

He is currently the only fish that has reached max size already. He's definitely 6 inches. Some of the other fish may be close to 5 and some of the others have more growing to do.

Every fish has a personality and this fish does not like any fish shaped like a peacock. It has stressed out any peacock entering the tank to the point that they are dead in 2 weeks flat. One lasted a month. He eventually killed our red empress that was able to hold on for almost 2 years. He doesn't seem to tolerate anything that may try to compete with him.

I don't want to get rid of him, even though he's a complete a**. Seems to be the cichlid way.

However, curiously, our much younger red empress has colored up since the older one died. It is maybe 3 inches. He is currently not being chased. He is also the smallest in the tank. I'm not sure if the dragon blood almost finds the fish laughable because it's half of his size and doesn't feel intimidated or eventually if there will be problems like the other red empress.

I know no one can predict the future for me, but I really hope this red empress makes it and also something in our tank puts that dragon blood in his place. Is it possible with the current happenings in the tank that this red empress can hold his own? We have had the younger one since last October. He has grown at a very slow rate unlike the rest of our fish. Seems to be eating a lot more now that the bigger red empress is gone.
My Dragon Blood is also the dominant one of the 4 I have in my 180 gallon they most definitely are aggresive. I'm just learning to keep Africans myself but have had deaths and had to remove fish.

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
My Dragon Blood is also the dominant one of the 4 I have in my 180 gallon they most definitely are aggresive. I'm just learning to keep Africans myself but have had deaths and had to remove fish.
The fish recently killed the red empress. Now it basically wanders around confused on who to relentlessly antagonize. He definitely still chases the others, but he definitely is not concentrated on any one particular fish at the moment. He basically ruined his own fun by killing that red empress that he loved to torment. Felt so bad for that fish, but it was eating and thought holding it's own better. That's why I hope that younger red empress can survive even more so.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think it has something to do with their genetics being a hybrid.
This. Along with the color from mbuna, came the genetics that dictate a much higher level of aggression compared to Aulonocara species.

When the smaller empress becomes larger, and your DB sees him as a rival, for breeding, or feeding, he will be next in line for a serious beating.

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
Dragon blood seems a little lost. He is definitely still king. However, sometimes doesn't eat in the morning. Then the next morning will eat like normal. Still chases and keeps the other fish away from his territory. However, is not harassing anyone in particular. We have a new blue dolphin that we are concerned about. The dragon blood will approach it, but the other blue dolphins come in and chase and nip the new blue dolphin and the dragon blood backs off. Kind of lets it's own type terrorize it.

Ironically my red empress is friendly with a much larger red top zebra. Zebra eats like crazy and has no fear!!! So, hoping it "teaches" it a thing or two to prepare for the fight to come as it gets bigger.

Reactions: tlindsey

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
So many variables when it comes to aggression. I had a unbelievably stunning dragons blood. Came from the winning fish at a aca convention in Cleveland. Mean as could be in previous owners tank. Had unreal color and attitude. I put him in my 500 and he turned Into a worthless fish. Lost his color and ran with the females. Even my super laid back maleri dominated him. Every fish can be different in different situations. There are generilaztions that are generally correct, but not always.

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
It does definitely depend on individual personality. That's why the compatibility charts are so funny to me at times, fish that should have no issues with each other. I have issues. It's trial and error to a point. The only thing I see potentially dominating that dragon blood at some point would be my red top zebra. When he reaches full size, It'll be interesting. He has the temperament to handle it. I'm not adding anything else into my tank unless something dies. I finally have the mix at least compatible. They are all Africans, so not necessarily friendly and cordial to each other all the time. However, they aren't going to out right kill each other for now. :)

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Somebody's high

Killer Dragon Blood Peacock

killer.jpg

dragon.jpg

blood.jpg

Peacock-9.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com