Killer Pothos!

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
My fish have eaten and stripped pothos before (and recently) with no problem.
Love guppy grass but so do my fish for salad. Buzzsaw.
Hornwort is great for clogging filters and algae. However it grows like mad in the 225. Every other tank its' green strands and 90% mush. Will probably transplant at some point.
Pothos is doing best in the 225 and parrot tanks. So-so in the 125.
Got some octopus grass and water sprite...hopefully these take off as advertised. All of these 'fast growing plants' get eaten or melt so far.

Ordered a huge amount of elodea from an ebay seller but will probably get refunded. A ripoff clown seller...took the money and ran. A week past delivery and it hasn't even shipped and no response. Gone ghost. Good thing they have insurance policy for situations like this.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I have multiple varieties of pathos and four deifenbachia plants growing in my fish room. I've got a Dobermann that hangs out w/ me in the fish room quite a bit and he's never expressed any interest in any of the plants. I've also found that the super hydrated pathos leaves don't fall onto the floor. I do see them once in a while but they stay attached far longer than normal such that you need to physically remove them from the plant as opposed to picking them off the floor.

If you've got a dog that you know eats plants just avoid them all together but if he doesn't have a history of munching on momma's ornamentals he'll probably leave your stuff alone. Or not.

It's a little like what Jackie Gleason said about being a drinking man. He didn't encourage anyone else to try it but it worked for him. That's my pathos experience.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I cull and dispose of a good portion of Hornwort roughly once per month from my indoor tanks. As spring approaches, I delay the last pruning so that I will have a decent starter portion for each of my outdoor stock tanks; starting them with a good amount of Hornwort (or anything else) acts as a hedge against green water and also provides an avenue to remove ammonia as soon as it starts to be produced. I have never had green water since I started doing this. I also cull and toss at least a bushel per month, plus several more bushels at season's end when I clean out the pond.

Now, I appreciate the totally realistic and reasonable comments regarding possible canine problems. I know...academically...that there's very likely nothing to worry about. But, here's the thing...all the "should be fine" and "probably won't kill 'im" and other comforting comments don't mean a damn thing when the rubber hits the road. Duke's not particularly "nibbly" when it comes to plants or poop or other delicacies that some dogs find tempting...but I am not playing that game. It's non-toxic or nothing.

I'll update if I find anything.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I Wouldn’t take the risk, my dog ate something poisonous and died last year, it’s not a nice experience.
I never found out what it was and the $10K autopsy and toxicology test was way out of my price range and obviously the dog would still be dead so I couldn’t justify it.
If you have the doubt in your mind then find another plant or you will be constantly stressed about the dog munching downn a stray leaf.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Pothos, Philodendron, Homalomena and many others, they are all Aroids. Poisonous, so don't eat them, fish generally know that. But they are the best plants for decorative aquaponics.

If you are worried about having the roots directly in your tank, plant them in a pot with some neutral medium, clay pellets, pumice, or coconut husks.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My fish have eaten and stripped pothos before (and recently) with no problem.
Pothos, Philodendron, Homalomena and many others, they are all Aroids. Poisonous, so don't eat them, fish generally know that. But they are the best plants for decorative aquaponics.

If you are worried about having the roots directly in your tank, plant them in a pot with some neutral medium, clay pellets, pumice, or coconut husks.

Thanks to both for these ^, but I'm not even thinking about the fish here...nor will I be chewing on leaves. My concerns are for the dog.

I Wouldn’t take the risk, my dog ate something poisonous and died last year, it’s not a nice experience.
I never found out what it was and the $10K autopsy and toxicology test was way out of my price range and obviously the dog would still be dead so I couldn’t justify it.
If you have the doubt in your mind then find another plant or you will be constantly stressed about the dog munching downn a stray leaf.
Exactly. I want to be able to sleep well. I haven't actually lost a dog to something like this, but have had a couple scares over the years and know at least one person whose beloved dog died due to eating wild grapes in the yard. They're animals, they do dumb things sometimes; not taking the chance.

There ya go ^. I don't panic every time the Powers That Be tell me to, but I do realize that there is some degree of truth to most warnings. Cases like those detailed there are uncommon, maybe rare, but they exist. I don't want Duke to be "a case".

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
There's care to be used by humans as well. After handling pothos wash your hands or wear gloves. Traces of the oxalate can transfer to your mouth and cause reaction such as tightness and burning of the throat which can last for hours.

As far as doing dumb things...how do you think humans found out about poisons in ancient times? The HARD WAY...

1711458280451.png

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, that particular human would have used a food-taster to detect poisons. :)

But if he lived today, he...or his minions...would use the internet to research reports and warnings. Having no minions of my own, I'm doing that part myself.

In fact, I am actually a minion myself! My wife regularly uses me as a food-taster for things she makes to bring to pot-lucks, family get-togethers, etc. Whenever she offers me a plate with something on it that she hasn't yet tried herself...I get nervous.... :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store