King Kamfa translucent fins

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
My tap water is 8.2. I don't mess with my pH as I beleve it is more important to have a stable pH than to have a specific pH. I have heard that a higher pH aids in KOK growth and a lower pH is better for color?‍♂. I'm not sure how true it is though.
Read that too. Wasn't planning to alter pH, my only concern was is this pH or something else. I have been moving him place to place for few day.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Looks like your Short Body Kamfa is starting to fade. The dark patches on his fins and body may eventually turn orange, yellow, and red in color. A PH of 7.8-8.0 is really high for a flowerhorn. They are bred from central american cichlids that live in waters that are 7.0-7.6. Some might argue that higher ph between 7.6-8.0 helps them grow bigger heads but its at the cost of the fish's health in my opinion, and the opinion of many others. Your fish has a hard kok anyway so the higher PH is not going to help his head grow anymore. I would buy a test kit and test you PH, as well as your other water parameters. Also, I would not feed a short body flowerhorn like yours any freeze dried food. Their intestines are very compressed and freeze dried foods can cause blockage problems for them. Anytime I have kept short bodied flowerhorn I made sure they had a good amount of spurlina in their pellets.
I agree that it's probably got some fader Gene's in him. Sometimes it can be very subtle and can even take and extremely long time for some fish to even start fading. Some fish will never completely fade. I currently have a female that has fading in the same spot the OP's FH does. She didn't fade untill she reached roughly 5.5-6in in length. Her sister on the otherhand faded completely at as lil as 1in.
I'm not sure if PH has anything to do with it at all. My PH comes out roughly 8.7-9 out of the tap and I've never had problems with keeping FH's healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store