Knife fish mixer

PToney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2011
Mountains in North Carolina.
I hope that this is not a stupid question... My kids are getting excited about our clown knife. They want to add to the collection. Would it be advisable to put a black ghost and an African brown in there with it. I know that I will need a couple more hiding spots and probably move the clown to a bigger tank in the future.

Any input would be great!

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
BGKs can be very territorial with other Knives that emit EOD. That means that an ABK and a BGK will not mix well. I've kept a BGK and a CK before, but it wasn't long term. They seemed fine, but the BGK was getting big and I decided to move him to the bigger tank.

tom10593

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2011
UK
i have kept black ghost knifes with dicsus before and also clown loach and elephant nose :)

libayn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
GA
the tempermant of your CK will matter also.my CK is in a 125 atm by himself since he refuses all tank mates and attacks them.

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
I see this is a old fourm.

I just had to get rid of my royal clown knife. Never had a issue with him for 2 years and all of a sudden started eating my bala sharks. I have mixed knife fish before. Most important thing is size of the tank with plenty of hiding spots.

I'm now having a issue with my African brown knife and my black ghost knife. Lately I have noticed the black ghosts are not as aggressive as they were in the past. Wondering if it has something to do to them now being captive breed but I'll never know that.

I've done this in the past so I'm separating the brown from the tank. The browns been in the tank the longest so. He's in a breeder box and here in a couple of weeks I'll release him back into the tank. That usually resolves the issues. If that doesn't then I'll have to find a new home for one of them.

Its fustrating how the black ghost is significantly bigger the the African brown knife and yet the brown knife is the one being a pain. Haha

Thought I'd share my experience.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store