Koi dying?

Asianleful

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Yesterday one died and now today two died. I don't know what's wrong but they looked perfectly fine swimming and eating vigorously the day before they died! What's going on!?

Fishfood?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Virginia
Pond or tank?

Sent from my MB612 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Asianleful

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Lowest it's getting air temperature wise in Central FL right now is MAYBE 65 in the mornings. As far as water parameters, I haven't a clue because I never tested water for years (probably bad) since it was such a large amount of water. I'll try to get a test kit and get params sometime this week. Hopefully they don't die. Any ideas so far? The fishes' gills are redless but that's probably because they were dead for a few hours... However, on one of the fish, 18 inch sanke, on the bottom of the right pectoral fin where it meets the body, there was some deep red looking bruises.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Red sore is aeromonas.

Moneypit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Wa
Can you describe your pond, what are your stocking rates, any new fish added recently? What kind of filtration are you running? What are your water change schedules? It could be anything from parasites to high ammonia or even PH issues, we need more info.

Ammonia
Nitrite
KH
PH morning/evening
Nitrates

Asianleful

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Approximately 83 10-20 inch koi. No new fish, same stock for 6 years, imported from Japan. Filtration is on a 3600 gallon pump bio-pellet filter (I know I need more filtration and flow). I have an 1800 gph pump on a sanyo waterfall filter but it's leaking somewhere and is currently not running. The bio-pellet filter is fed through a bottom-drain. Never did water changes except topping off the pond every 3 or so weeks due to evaporation. Still need to get a test...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store