Koi pond Modified to L Aqurium.

deepfathom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
Houston, TX
I'm working out an idea how to modify a 300g pre-molded indoor koi pond into a large aquarium with a plexi glass window, similar to a ply wood build. Anyone know of anyone trying this? I'm trying to draw it up and could use any suggestions from the DIY tank builders out there.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
Ive always thought about something like this but I dont think plexi is strong enough or itd be more common, but lets get a more experienced opinion as I too am curious.

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I think the problem is in the rigidity of the pond. Those ponds are designed to have dirt behind them, supporting the pond from the outside, as the water pushes from the inside. If you didn't have that external support, the pond would flex a lot, causing cracking/leaking around a window or outright structural failure.

deepfathom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
Houston, TX
what about the stand-alone preformed ones? They are designed for indoor use and are setup in built stand of sorts??? But I feel my biggest downfall will ultimately the cost of Lexan and lumber..... After doing some ruff math id have to have almost a 2" sheet of Lexan to be sure that it wouldnt Bow. The only other option is Glass but then the risk of leaks as I seal it to the plastic construction of the pond is a problem. Ive seen this setup on an inground setup were, you are right the weight of the ground holds everything in place NP. I'm just toying with the idea as a Cheap and creative alternitave to standard materials like Plywood and Acrylic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store