Krill for Puffers

BrackishB

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2020
I have schoutedni puffers in my congo biotope with some african knifefish. Will a solid diet of krill keep their teeth filed down or do they need snails for sure? They love krill but I fear the beak will not take enough wear & tear from the comparatively thin exoskeleton of the krill or shrimp.

I started a culture of cloning crayfish as another option, but those won't be ready until fall. I never seem to breed enough snails... when I need them of course. They ignore trumpet snails.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have schoutedni puffers in my congo biotope with some african knifefish. Will a solid diet of krill keep their teeth filed down or do they need snails for sure? They love krill but I fear the beak will not take enough wear & tear from the comparatively thin exoskeleton of the krill or shrimp.

I started a culture of cloning crayfish as another option, but those won't be ready until fall. I never seem to breed enough snails... when I need them of course. They ignore trumpet snails.
Snails would be better for beak trimming.
twentyleagues twentyleagues
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Personally i would not consider krill a crunchy diet... your best bet is definitely snails / crays etc...

Also since you are having trouble keeping your snail population up, i would recommend getting more snails in your breeder snail tank... stuff such as ramshorns or common pond snails is a good choice due to the speed they breed compared to a lot of the other species...

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I agree with Fat Homer Fat Homer snails will be best. Schoutdeni don't have to many beak issues they don't grow very fast so snail once or twice a week will be good. Up your breeding population and feed heavy you'll have lots in no time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store