Kuhli loaches

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have had five in a 55 gallon for a few years with three new banded kuhlis in QT that will go in the same tank. I have in the past kept them in 20 long tanks in smaller numbers.
I have found that they are more likely to be out and about in fairly heavy planted tanks with some sort of hiding places. I siliconed together some broken sections of a slate school blackboard in a stack. I make the spaces narrow so the kuhlis can use them but the other fish cannot.
I have only kept them with the smaller varieties of tropical fish so as to avoid the potential temptation of a larger fish seeing them as a snack. If I recall correctly they have small spines that can protrude. These may help deter some predation but I was never willing to take the chance.

As far as numbers go I have generally kept them in groups. There have been periods over the decades when circumstances found only one or two in a tank. I cannot say that there was any apparent problem with having a singleton or only two. In fact one that survived the longest for me wound up as a singleton for quite a long time. I keep them in groups because they are among my favorite fish but have no concern about having only one or two.

I suppose a 20 long has been the smallest community tank with kuhlis that I have set up in a long time. I see no particular reason why a 10 or 15 gallon cannot be used in a pinch, but have tended to use larger tanks even for the small fish types. A larger tank poses fewer problems with water quality even when the overall size of the fish is small. I suppose that I would suggest a 20 or larger for those new to the hobby and leave the issues of keeping smaller tanks going to the more experienced among us.

Good luck

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
the only problem I ever had with them was, they will find even the smallest opening in lids to escape from tanks...an airline hole, or a crack. escapes were the only way I lost them. Very small, round carpet jerky
:-/
Fun fish, other than that. always hated losing them.

AqAnwar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Thanks and appreciate for the quick reply... Can u please help me with these...
Is this a Kuhli

DSC_0479.JPG DSC_0474.JPG

Last edited:

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have mine for about 4-5 years so far. My water is hard, for reference pH is 7.4. TDS around 270, GH is 13-ish, etc...
They went through 3 tanks.

First was a 30G with leaf litter and driftwood. They were almost alone in there apart from some otocinclus and shrimp, until the tank gushed out on the floor when I dropped a plastic kettle....

The second tank they lived in was a heavily planted 15G tank, only 30cm tall. No one ever jumped out. I kept it open top. Tankmates were a few corydoras and shrimp.

Third tank is a 240G pond, living with my clown loaches and a bunch of other fish: SAEs, denison barbs, harlequin rasboras and corydoras. They line up for food with the other fish. The longer you have them, the more outgoing they become....even in open spaces, large tanks with bigger fish(that don't consider them food)

They did well in all three tanks generally. They're fairly hardy fish. The only one I lost is when one of the tanks gushed out on the floor. I found all kuhlis but one escaped me, found him weeks later dried up.

I've always kept them in temps around 26C and substrate was sand. The most outgoing I've seen them is in my planted tank. It was heavily planted with crypts all over. They'd 'be browsing all they long...However, the happier I've seen them is in the leaf litter tank. They used to swim along the surface quite often, in sort of mating behaviour, though I doubt it they could produce viable offspring in my hard water.....Not to forget, they are nocturnal but planted tanks will get them out with lights on...

They do best with lots of cover, caves are essential as all of them like to stay together. I know in the wild they can live as singles but in captivity it is imperative to have a group. They literally live together in their chosen caves, sometimes divided in groups of two, as was the case in my leaf litter tank. Currently, in the third tank, all of them live in the same plant pot that is placed(kicked by the clown loaches) sideways. They don't contribute much to bio-load, so a group of 6 minimum is best, if not more.

Mine are striped kuhlis, the shyest species of all possibly....I intend to purchase a group of black kuhlis as well.....I love these fish :)

Last edited:

AqAnwar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Guys, please help me out with this, is this a Kuhli loach? My LFS sold me dojo last time on pretext of Kuhli so wants to be sure before putting them in my tank.. DSC_0509.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store