L shaped plywood tank build

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Excellent! I see you're using a canister though. I'm trying to figure out a way to setup a sump. I guess I'll make a thread after I finish some 3D imaging and start getting some more input. This thread is awesome though. Definitely glad I found it and you are still running the tank.
I'm glad you like it, I hope you take it and make one even better. I had to move the fx6 to another tank, I would like to drill an overflow and use a sump but I'm a little worried about weight since I'm in an apartment still. I might just end up getting another fx6. I'll have to wait and see.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
so I was thinking about something, feel free to point out any flaws in my thinking here, but I was thinking about the benefits and drawbacks of adding a sump or sticking with a fx6 or another canister filter. obviously with the sump I could have more bio filtering, which is good, and my heater could be hidden away. the downside being that to have a sump that would be effective it would have to hold as much bio media as my fx6, have room for a heater or two and return pump plus all the other do-dads etc. this sort of means I need to have probably a 30-50g tank underneath of my tank. my problem with that is that I'm trying to keep my weight to a minimum. I'm already paranoid about my apartment floor caving in (and yes I know I'm a fool for having big tanks in an apartment already), I am reasonably comfortable with the weight associated with the canister, even if I have two, I can put one under each section to spread it out.

so here is my idea. what if I go with a canister but still install the over flow box and hide my intake for the filter as well as heater(s) in there. that should protect the heaters from clumsy/angry fish (I just got a wild Oscar who will be moving in this tank), the water would over flow at the same rate its pulled out of the box by the filter and keep it looking clean and neat. has anyone done this or see anything wrong?

Freemananana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2015
Florida
I've seen people attach canister filters to a bulk head before. It works just fine. Your thinking is inline with what I've seen.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I had a 90g tall with a corner overflow and I did exactly what you are describing....and if you make the intake pipe tall enough to get it up closer to the top, the water doesnt splash....still silent.
The only drawback I had was debris and sediment in the bottom of the overflow. I hid my heater in there as well and it was a little tight....but everything was concealed.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
New pictures?
not yet. haven't had a chance to do anything yet, unless you want more pics of an empty tank. haha

I had a 90g tall with a corner overflow and I did exactly what you are describing....and if you make the intake pipe tall enough to get it up closer to the top, the water doesnt splash....still silent.
The only drawback I had was debris and sediment in the bottom of the overflow. I hid my heater in there as well and it was a little tight....but everything was concealed.
i hadn't thought about that being a dead spot and detritus building up in there. i might try to design something to avoid that, not that it would be a huge issue. i will update with design when i get a chance

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Have you thought of using a reverse undergravel system on the return of one of the canisters? Super easy PVC DIY ideas all over the net. Idk how the geos will react to the flow pattern, however if it's just pushing water through the dead spot it could serve to keep them away from hanging out in there.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
You get this back up and running?
unfortunately no, its just sitting in storage right now. i would still like to use it one day. i have no room for it right now after i replaced it with a 125. i feel like i might use it for a turtle habitat or something eventually if i don't reseal the whole thing.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Dang... This is discouraging. I am wanting to build a corner tank as well and cannot see your pictures but also read through the thread and see this is not up and running. Do the leaks at least have a pattern or are they in just random places?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store