L024 Pleco

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
One member said it’s not uncommon for medicine to kill plecos gut bacteria, so they don’t breakdown and absorb the nutrients from food regardless of how much they eat. Has anyone experienced this?
I’ve read about some of the panaque species losing gut bacteria. Which would make sense because of what they feed on.
I’ve not experienced any problems with other species.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I’ve read about some of the panaque species losing gut bacteria. Which would make sense because of what they feed on.
I’ve not experienced any problems with other species.
It just can’t be a coincidence two plecos being housed together exhibiting the same unusual behavior die a few days apart. It’s just frustrating

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
That does suck. I find most Pseudacanthicus to be fairly bulletproof. What were you feeding it?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
That does suck. I find most Pseudacanthicus to be fairly bulletproof. What were you feeding it?
I tried cucumbers & squash routinely (never saw any of it gone). Shrimp, pellets, and bloodworms. They stayed under the sponge filter majority of time so I don’t know what they ate but it never appeared they were physically starving. Had them both since November so imagine they had to eat to survive 5 months

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I bought a freshly caught L27 tocantins royal pleco a couple years back that had similar problems it never ate for me but looks fat healthy. It died two weeks later. Your small L24 body looks fat and kinda swollen from the pics.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Im finding firsthand the larger fish is often worth the price hike compared to the juveniles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store