L024 Pleco

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Ah one last question, have you observed aggressive behavior by these guys towards your other fish?
I didnt chance her my other smaller plecs no real big fish in there shes king kong sized compared to other fish in there. She is solo pleco so far with a BN (dont count) and only have had her for 4 weeks at this point but once i get my eheim pro 3 fixed the bigger clown loaches are going in. This will be interesting. The other barbs are moving into the 75g for lower temp range. It took her a week to figure out she could fit in the pvc connector i got for the clown loaches

Last edited:

pga7602

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
LA CA
Color on yours looks like it's got potential. From my experience, the more red on the fins and tail when young, there more that can/will develop as they age. In addition to massivore and algae wafers, I like to feed krill, jumbo mysis and bloodworms. Whenever I put in veggies I also try to add some with redish color like peppers, carrots and melons.

This picture is from back in March, but here's my big guy. It's gotten a bit more red in it's dorsal and some pretty major growth of spines on it's checks and pectoral fins since this was taken.
View attachment 1444601
Oooo MY goodness.... Do you have a pic of him when you got it? This thing is amazing... Makes me want to look for one now hahaha

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Oooo MY goodness.... Do you have a pic of him when you got it? This thing is amazing... Makes me want to look for one now hahaha
I purchased that guy when it was already over a foot long. Other than coloring up more, growing larger odontodes and getting slightly larger not much has changed.
You don't want to see a picture of this guy now... ;)

You can usually get a decent idea of the potential a small one has by how much red it's got on the leading bony parts of their fins and their tail.
I'll try to dig up an old picture or two of really nice little ones I had.

24s are great fish! If you think you want one, I endorse that decision. You shouldn't have to look too hard to find a quality specimen, especially if you're open to ordering online.

pga7602

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
LA CA
I purchased that guy when it was already over a foot long. Other than coloring up more, growing larger odontodes and getting slightly larger not much has changed.
You don't want to see a picture of this guy now... ;)

You can usually get a decent idea of the potential a small one has by how much red it's got on the leading bony parts of their fins and their tail.
I'll try to dig up an old picture or two of really nice little ones I had.

24s are great fish! If you think you want one, I endorse that decision. You shouldn't have to look too hard to find a quality specimen, especially if you're open to ordering online.
Oh let's see a pic now!! Lol

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Oh let's see a pic now!! Lol
I'll have to take one for you. Last one I'm seeing is from October.

Ah one last question, have you observed aggressive behavior by these guys towards your other fish?
Sorry I didn't address this question earlier. Generally, all of my pseudas are pretty peaceful except for the traditional L114s (the various L114s would make for another interesting thread). If ever there's aggression, it's usually between fish of similar size and seems like a dominance thing. Once one gets put in it's place they seem to forgive and forget. I think part of the trick for housing a bunch together is to either ensure that there are enough territories for each fish to claim or if the addition takes too firm a hold and you end up overstocking, then take away territories so they don't have any to fight over. Check out some of the YouTube videos of pleco people in Asia. Their plecos are all hanging out packed together.
I'm definitely about as heavily stocked as I can currently get. I try to use enough wood pieces for any that need it to be able to feel hidden or protected. I don't really have room for territories anymore and they're all pretty well behaved.

None have ever caused problems with any non-plecos

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
thats a healthy L24 7pointer. Looks like it eating pretty well from the first pic you posted.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
After my L600 died a few days ago in a grow out, I started researching possible causes. Plecos suddenly not hiding is a pretty bad sign apparently (something the L600 was not doing anymore). One member said it’s not uncommon for medicine to kill plecos gut bacteria, so they don’t breakdown and absorb the nutrients from food regardless of how much they eat. Has anyone experienced this?

I remembered I treated my loaches with prazipro because they were WC, and both plecos were in the grow out at the time. I forgot about my L024 since I had moved him to the large tank and found him today. Whatever killed the L600 had to be the same cause of death. Both looked fat, and no longer hiding. This is a major bummer and definitely a reminder to not treat fish that don’t need to be treated. Kicking myself on this right now for not doing what I know I needed to do in separate QT tank.

167AB2A3-2E63-4E6A-AF2E-384D3CA8071E.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Am so bummed finding out about your loss. Was looking forward to seeing yours grow out and see the growth and color changes as it grew. Honestly I get my plecos from trusted source now. I brought a group of 4 adult L264s last year and only 2 are remaining. added 5 more from my local trusted importer. The same one that sold me the L24 I have. It is still doing well. It still bothers me what happened to the first 2 L264s. No signs of illness for the 1st male that died but the last female I believe was either bloat or egg bound. Still kicking myself about not removing her and trying the Espom bath in a qT tank. No one else was affected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store