L240/Leporacanthicus cf. galaxias

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Related and similar to L91, which I have, L240 natural temperature range is apparently a bit higher. Actually, I was meant to get L240, but was sent the wrong fish. I'm keeping mine at pH 7.4, 78-80 degrees, decent current in the tank. L14 and L200 in the same tank with no issues (along with Geo sveni, a wild Brazil Heros, etc.) The L200 is a good algae eater and is all over the tank without a particular territory, while the L91 and L14 have separate spots to hang out in but are fine when in proximity.
Comparison of each on planetcatfish.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=911

Leporacanthicus triactis • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog (planetcatfish.com)

Last edited:

SmokyCartoon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Related and similar to L91, which I have-- actually, I was meant to get L240, but was sent the wrong fish. I'm keeping mine at pH 7.4, 78-80 degrees, decent current in the tank. L14 and L200 in the same tank with no issues (along with Geo sveni, a wild Brazil Heros, etc.) The temperature is mainly to accomodate the L14, but still within the range of the L240. The L200 is a good algae eater and is all over the tank, without a particular territory while the L91 and L14 have separate spots to hang out in but are fine when in proximity.
Comparison of each on planetcatfish.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=911

Leporacanthicus triactis • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog (planetcatfish.com)
Are they a sensitive species or can they handle a wide range of parameters?

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Reasonable range, I don't know about a wide range. In my opinion I wouldn't keep them too cool and I'd be leery of pH too high. From past experience keeping plecos in African cichlid tanks, high pH (8.0) seems to shorten the life-span of some (though not all) pleco species.

SmokyCartoon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Reasonable range, I don't know about a wide range. In my opinion I wouldn't keep them too cool and I'd be leery of pH too high. From past experience keeping plecos in African cichlid tanks, high pH (8.0) seems to shorten the life-span of some (though not all) pleco species.
Not related to leporacanthicus but can bristlenoses live long term in high ph? I see people keep them in African cichlids tanks often

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Oddly enough, I never had bristlenose plecos, so I don't know. One type I had that wasn't bothered much and lived a long time in varying pH was L260.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store