L25, scarlet pleco. How much did you guys pay for yours?

rideit6578

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2010
Long Island
This thread has turned from a question about pricing of a beautiful pleco into a debate on an aspect of our fish keeping and our fish keeping community. That being said, both parties have excellent points and in my opinion it comes down to 'to each his own'. Sure there are there are plenty of people out there that want ONE fish as a display piece as in2cichlids has said but the fact that there are people out there who seek to breed these fish is also incredible. As Unungy stated these breeders do help the hobbyists to find their desired fish more readily so it helps both ends of our community. The desire and enjoyment is in the eye of the keeper...and on this site, the monster fish keeper.

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
I would go with Saul- get a bunch of chicago folks who have been looking for some L025s, and do a group buy. I do want to see more of those cool guys around here anyhow.

I'm considering getting rid of all of my plecs keep the L134s and go full L264 and dedicate my time with those sultans. Ha talk about serious dedication.
If anyone in chicagoland area wants to order, i'd be happy to tag along and get some for myself. I just can't find enough people to complete the order of 5. PM me if anyone in chicagoland is doing this!

Recumbent

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
Saul is a great guy and may be all out of L025s after I ordered 10 from him. A year or 2 ago they were around $150 - $180, now about $250 (perhaps from the devaluation of the dollar). Single buyers are important because they cause the demand that attracts some breeders. Another of my long-term breeding projects is with the imperial (flower) loach leptobiota elongata. A fish with few single buyers that could go extinct if we don't get enough breeders.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Saul is a great guy and may be all out of L025s after I ordered 10 from him. A year or 2 ago they were around $150 - $180, now about $250 (perhaps from the devaluation of the dollar). Single buyers are important because they cause the demand that attracts some breeders. Another of my long-term breeding projects is with the imperial (flower) loach leptobiota elongata. A fish with few single buyers that could go extinct if we don't get enough breeders.
Wow i just received an email saying he is getting some in the other day and now he is already out of them?

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
All this talk about breeding L25... most people can even house a full grown L25 at 15-18", let alone a breeding group. The cost of even owning one L25 is already out of most people budget.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
If anyone in chicagoland area wants to order, i'd be happy to tag along and get some for myself. I just can't find enough people to complete the order of 5. PM me if anyone in chicagoland is doing this!
Post in GCCA and the MFK classifieds OFC and probably will get 2-6 people signing up just to get one. Might have to have a planning of meetups/money transcations etc etc but its all workable in the end. From what I saw on a local auction from a L114 recently, people still want a L25 those days.

This is less risker move to do than dealing with the LFS who won't supply you the picture, a good owner will have good contacts with the middleman who def will show you the proof so you can show the owner the money to go thru the hassle of getting the fish in.

Its the question of HOW bad you want one. LOL.

Marowana420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Toronto Canada
Post in GCCA and the MFK classifieds OFC and probably will get 2-6 people signing up just to get one. Might have to have a planning of meetups/money transcations etc etc but its all workable in the end. From what I saw on a local auction from a L114 recently, people still want a L25 those days.

This is less risker move to do than dealing with the LFS who won't supply you the picture, a good owner will have good contacts with the middleman who def will show you the proof so you can show the owner the money to go thru the hassle of getting the fish in.

Its the question of HOW bad you want one. LOL.
I dont agree with that. its much more risky when you purchase fish online that needs to be shipped to you. It a headache organizing a groupbuy. cuz if a fish dies, get injured in transit, or if there is a size or quality discrepancy, the organizer will have to deal will these problems. at a LFS even thou you are paying retail, you get to see the exact fish you are buying and you can walk away if the fish does not have the desirable traits you are looking for. (but i've never seen a L25 in a LFS :))

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
Yep, thats the problem, L25's or 24's just dont see them at the stores at all. I have called alot, Im hoping by next year they will lift the ban and i can get myself few.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store