L27 & L160 behavior with smaller plecos?

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Long time reader here, first time poster.

I've currently got a 150 gallon SA community that's got a lot of plecos.

I have a few species that grow large, but for the most part they're all on the small side now. While there are lots under 5" the largest are a 8" (tail included) rhino, a 7" L75, a couple of 6" 137, a 6" high -fin green phantom and a 6" L240.

Had been wanting to get an L24 and there was a nice 4" at one of my LFS. Stopped in yesterday to check it out and they're going out of business. Almost all of their fish were gone and they're dumping what's left.
One of the remaining interesting fish was a ~8" L160. I'd like to give it a home but am concerned about aggression from a pseuda that size with all of my smaller plecos. While I've read that the L160 can be very aggressive and seen videos of fighting psuedas, I've never seen any aggression with any of my plecos, so I'm not sure how worried I should be.

As far as Pseudacanthicus go, I have a 5" L114, a 4" L600 and about a 3" L273.

While making the rounds to the LFS I also came across a gorgeous 6"-7" L27 Goldline. I've always steered clear of royals as I used to have a lot of plants. After lots of trial and error (or making a pleco salad bar) I've ended up with some jungle val and crypts which seem to not get eaten for whatever reason. Should I assume the Goldline will eat them or be ok? I have a good amount of wood in there.
Also curious about potential aggression as I've read the L27 can be nasty.

I keep seeing amazing tanks full of plecos on youtube that seem to all get along. I've also never had issues with any of mine.
Would like to add the L160 and L27 but not if I'm putting my others in danger. I think I'm just extra cautious here because of the size of these two versus all of my other plecos.

For those of you have have either of these plecos in with a lot of smaller ones, what's your experience been like?

My apologies for the HUGE first posting! Appreciate any input you can share.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I have a L190, L027 "Xingu", and a L264 sultan in my bichir tank all ranging from 4-5"(including tail) I had a 6-7" male bristlenose in there but he immediately started fighting with my L190 over his cave so he was removed. When the L027 was added him and the L190 pushed each other a bit and once the L190's dorsal fin was torn but healed in about a week but for the most part they get along

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Ended up passing on the 160 but got the 27.
Beautiful fish! It just started coming out of its hiding spot. Will post pics as soon as I'm able to get good ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store