L600

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
can someone please explain to me what the "L" in some plecos' names mean
like I can kind of understand some plecos being line bred like blue phantoms
and I guess the L in that is the line
is that what it is? line? line number? generation of development?

timtk

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2017
can someone please explain to me what the "L" in some plecos' names mean
like I can kind of understand some plecos being line bred like blue phantoms
and I guess the L in that is the line
is that what it is? line? line number? generation of development?
L# = loracarid number. Its just an alternate naming system for plecos since many don't have scientific names. That being said not all plecos have an L number but most in the hobby do, generally new types of plecos get an L#. For instance, zebra plecos are L46. It eliminates ambiguity since "royal pleco" could mean several different types of pleco like L191, L27, etc, and the scientific nomenclature isnt completely hashed out. Has nothing to do with beng line bred. (also blue phantoms are not line bred, they are actually a rather difficult pleco to breed... most in the hobby are wild caught to my understanding). I think you're conflating L numbers with F numbers (F1 = first generation offspring, F2 = second generation and so on).

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I know about F numbers...
thanks for clearing that up though.
I'm honestly surprised that something like a blue phantom pleco is found in the wild.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I'm honestly surprised that something like a blue phantom pleco is found in the wild.
Almost all fancy Plecos are naturally accoring colors. Only now have they started line breeding some hypancistrus for certain traits

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
corys are also classified by c#s

Almost all fancy Plecos are naturally accoring colors. Only now have they started line breeding some hypancistrus for certain traits
don't forget bristlenose

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store