Laetacara Araguaiae

bgourami320

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn,ny
I was looking for information on these fish, glad I found this. I was thinking of buying a pair from
somone on LI, I think maybe 2 males might be a better option unless I want a ton of babies.
I was going to put them in a 40b with 6-R. Espie, 3-Red Iriani's and punctatus and pygmeous cory's.
If they did spawn there might be more of a chance of some staying alive in this tank, the 75g no go for sure. They are beautiful little SA's. I like how their coloration changes. Have you had any luck with spawns living?

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
several batches of fry fed till 4 months (which is more or less 2.5 cm).

but never took the time to raise them till decent and adult size... it was more like a "easy diner fry" for my Pterophyllum altum...

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I wish it was in better focus, but alas I have a crappy camera and even crappier photo skills. Still, it shows off the fin coloration really well (probably because the camera focused on the fin instead of the eye). These guys seem far more personable and interesting than the dorsigera and thayeri I've kept. Much more colorful too.

tobocrs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Central AZ
Late to the party, but I, too, was searching for info and found this thread. Reason for the search: I'm looking at an auction on AB, thinking I'll go ahead and get them after seeing the wonderful pix in both Lizardking and ElTofi's posts. One question (if anyone is still watching here): how big are your tanks? I'm looking at a 10 or a 20 - does that compare with yours? Thanks for the info, everyone!

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Mine are in a 20 long, but I have to watch the male. If the female isn't ready to breed, he'll chase her relentlessly despite the huge amount of driftwood I have in there (as well as plants and catappa leaves). Last time I had to rearrange the hardscape to give her a break. Mine are the purple form though, that aquabid post looks to be the blue form and people have said there is quite a difference in aggression between the two. I'd post newer, better pics of mine but since they are different than the ones you are looking at, it wouldn't help much in your decision.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Well a few people asked me to show the purples ... just keep in mind these aren't the same color form as what's on aquabid that tobocrs is looking at. And a crappy point and shoot camera.

The male:
male01.jpg

The female:
female0.jpg

The pair:
pair.jpg

pair.jpg

female0.jpg

male01.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com