Lake Apanas

Felix Perez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Info on lake Apanas, where the Doviis are on Steroids lol.

Beautiful Lake Apanás/Man Made Reservoir In Nothern Nicaragua was created in 1964 by then Presidente Somoza by damming the Tuma River,just north of Jinotega city.

Lake Apanás has an area of 20 square miles (51 square km). It supplies the Asturias hydroelectric station, largest in the country and the focus of a power grid serving much of the more densely settled Pacific zone of Nicaragua.

It's depth averages 20 to 50 meters and water temperature averages 27.5 degrees Celsius, 81.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

The main Body of Lake Apanas it's fairly shallow,probly around 8-10 feet and it gets hit hard by the wind,that's why the water in the main body,Always seems to be murky, sometimes one is able to see the cattle grazing,half way submerged eating the acuatic vegetation.

The many Coves of the Lake however,can be very deep in places,it is here where the lake gets the 20+ meters average,and the water it's fairly clear.

There are some beautiful spots where to swim on the lake,on my next trip I will take photos of the diferect topography of the lake.

The coves are dominated by timber and vegetation on the edges.

Species to be caught in Apanas.

There are 2 species of Guapote.

1) "The Lagunero/Guapote, known for its hump and enormous size,often times exceding 18 pounds,known in Inglish as Rainbow Bass. The female Lagunero is known as Parindera and it's way smaller than the male, rarely reaching 2 pounds

2) "The Amayaco, or Guapote Pinto or Jaguar this one is way smaller and it dotted like a jaguar,hence, the English name Jaguar Guapote, the female it's exactly the same color and a lil smaller in size.

The best time to fish Apanás are the March-early July months, Favorite lures are:

Rapalas(Wooden): Colors: Shad,Red,Green Combos,you need a shallow runner,4-6 Feet,a medium runner 6-12 feet and a deep diver 15+ feet.

Rattle Traps: Same colors as the Rapalas and in same size,I like the bill lewis brands

Inline Spinners(same used for Salmon): colors Green,Shiny silver/gold,Fav. brand Mepps in #2,3,4 and 5

Deep Diving Plugs: these are the ones I use for trolling the numerous 100+ feet holes in Asturias,I use the 15-21 Feet ones,big lips on them.

Additional Info: courtesy of a new member,who asked me via PM,additional info on the lake,so I figure I'd update this Tread :).

would plastic worms work? senkos? topwater?
in my over 20+ years of experience,I've found that worms and any type of top water don't work that well in Apanas

Is a medium action medium heavy or heavy action preferred for larger Guapotes?
Do they fight? Do they head for the trees etc?

Medium to heavy action- 6"7 of 7" would be good, Big guapotes and even small one fight and run like a freight train and you got if, will head for the trees,last year I lost 2 in the trees, that could have topped 20 pounds, also take spider wire in 10- 30,and triline 15 and 20 pounds

You mentioned live bait ...is this a good method?what is preferred bait? do you need a cast net to catch it?
in Apanas,I know the BEST live bait method(is a secret ok) is live small catfish and live Shad,known as Plateada,you can't catch them with cast nets, we do it with tiny hook 4 pound test line and dough as bait,early in the morning.

When visiting Apanás,make sure to Always bring a Rain Jackets(and FDC :)), sometimes even in summer,will rain,nothing a lil FDC can't fix. (FDC,means Flor de caña,which is the Nicaraguan Rum)

Hope this info helps you,in your future visits to Lake Apanás.

Regards.

Felix Perez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Info on lake Apanas, where the Doviis are on Steroids lol.

Beautiful Lake Apanás/Man Made Reservoir In Nothern Nicaragua was created in 1964 by then Presidente Somoza by damming the Tuma River,just north of Jinotega city.

Lake Apanás has an area of 20 square miles (51 square km). It supplies the Asturias hydroelectric station, largest in the country and the focus of a power grid serving much of the more densely settled Pacific zone of Nicaragua.

It's depth averages 20 to 50 meters and water temperature averages 27.5 degrees Celsius, 81.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

The main Body of Lake Apanas it's fairly shallow,probly around 8-10 feet and it gets hit hard by the wind,that's why the water in the main body,Always seems to be murky, sometimes one is able to see the cattle grazing,half way submerged eating the acuatic vegetation.

The many Coves of the Lake however,can be very deep in places,it is here where the lake gets the 20+ meters average,and the water it's fairly clear.

There are some beautiful spots where to swim on the lake,on my next trip I will take photos of the diferect topography of the lake.

The coves are dominated by timber and vegetation on the edges.

Species to be caught in Apanas.

There are 2 species of Guapote.

1) "The Lagunero/Guapote, known for its hump and enormous size,often times exceding 18 pounds,known in Inglish as Rainbow Bass. The female Lagunero is known as Parindera and it's way smaller than the male, rarely reaching 2 pounds

2) "The Amayaco, or Guapote Pinto or Jaguar this one is way smaller and it dotted like a jaguar,hence, the English name Jaguar Guapote, the female it's exactly the same color and a lil smaller in size.

The best time to fish Apanás are the March-early July months, Favorite lures are:

Rapalas(Wooden): Colors: Shad,Red,Green Combos,you need a shallow runner,4-6 Feet,a medium runner 6-12 feet and a deep diver 15+ feet.

Rattle Traps: Same colors as the Rapalas and in same size,I like the bill lewis brands

Inline Spinners(same used for Salmon): colors Green,Shiny silver/gold,Fav. brand Mepps in #2,3,4 and 5

Deep Diving Plugs: these are the ones I use for trolling the numerous 100+ feet holes in Asturias,I use the 15-21 Feet ones,big lips on them.

Additional Info: courtesy of a new member,who asked me via PM,additional info on the lake,so I figure I'd update this Tread :).

would plastic worms work? senkos? topwater?
in my over 20+ years of experience,I've found that worms and any type of top water don't work that well in Apanas

Is a medium action medium heavy or heavy action preferred for larger Guapotes?
Do they fight? Do they head for the trees etc?

Medium to heavy action- 6"7 of 7" would be good, Big guapotes and even small one fight and run like a freight train and you got if, will head for the trees,last year I lost 2 in the trees, that could have topped 20 pounds, also take spider wire in 10- 30,and triline 15 and 20 pounds

You mentioned live bait ...is this a good method?what is preferred bait? do you need a cast net to catch it?
in Apanas,I know the BEST live bait method(is a secret ok) is live small catfish and live Shad,known as Plateada,you can't catch them with cast nets, we do it with tiny hook 4 pound test line and dough as bait,early in the morning.

When visiting Apanás,make sure to Always bring a Rain Jackets(and FDC :)), sometimes even in summer,will rain,nothing a lil FDC can't fix. (FDC,means Flor de caña,which is the Nicaraguan Rum)

Hope this info helps you,in your future visits to Lake Apanás.

Regards.
I started a YouTube channel where I'll be uploading lots of videos of my upcoming trips.
For now I only have 4 older short videos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store